Monday, January 26, 2009

4 more quilts

Wow, its been quite a while since I've posted anything, so there is a bit to catch up on. Now that my computer is back to working and accessing the internet, all is good! Jessica and I spent a bit of time together this weekend and worked on some projects amongst the kids playing and running around. I've had a few quilts in the works and one already given away tonight (and I forgot to take pictures of it!) Enjoy and hope you have a great week! - Jennifer
This is one of my absolute favorite quilts I've worked on yet. It is based on using Amy Butlers Strippy Quilt pattern but with a couple modifications. I used an 9 1/2" x 9 1/2" square and foundation pieced strips of varying widths (4",3",2",1 1/2", 1 1/4" and 1") to a muslin square. Using my stash of scraps was wonderful in this application- hence the multiple sizes of strips.

I'm also in love with this quilt! It is going to be a baby present for Jessica's new baby coming in April. I appliqued the bird and branch on a square of kona cotton and boarderd it with a small black boarder and a white and green animal print. I'm so excited for the new baby to come - now better quilt and bind it before then...

This quilt uses some vintage sheets that I found at the thrift store a couple weeks ago. Even the white is a sheet - it is pinned and ready for quilting. I just tried out stippling with my machine and although I am so nervous doing it, I think I'll try it on this one. Jessica and I have been using bamboo batting and just love it! It is so soft and we actually think that the fabric "sticks" to it a bit and is really nice to work with. It shrinks quite a bit to give a great puckery texture, which I love.


This is a vintage sheet quilt just like the one Jessica made a few weeks ago. We traded some vintage sheets and this is what mine came out looking like. I still like hers better, but what can I say, she does great work!

5 comments:

littlecumulus said...

They're all absolutely wonderful. I want to see more of the first one!

Pikku- Kettu said...

Beautiful quilts! I just love the strippy one!

Lisa said...

I just found your blog, and I love it! You both make such pretty quilts.
I love vintage sheets, too, and have been collecting them for a while now, but haven't made anything yet. I like them both for the price, and the recycling factor. Great inspiration here!

Beth said...

Oh, the scrappy quilt is AMAZING!

Amy @ Park City Girl said...

Great quilts! Love the stripy one too :)