Thursday, February 5, 2009

Baby bird quilt finished


The little baby quilt is finished! I'm pretty pleased at how it turned out - it was one of my first times doing such a detailed applique. For the bird part, I just layered the two fabrics with nothing in between holding them together because when it shrunk in the wash, I wanted it to feel and look the same as the rest. This was quite challenging during the applique process- I chose to use my sewing machine to do a satin stitch around it and going around all the curves made me pretty nervous... probably not quite the right way to do this whole applique thing, but it worked for now :) To quilt it, I chose to not quilt in any of the black areas- just stippled the rest of it and outlined the bird and branch. Now just have to wait for the new baby- time cannot go fast enough for me! - Jennife

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I just LOVE this quilt! I linked to your post today from my blog. I am going to email you to get the pdf file. Thank you!

I think it's so funny that you traced it from a wallhanging, because I have a gigantic (about 5 ft. square) metal shape-thing on my living room wall that I intend to copy onto a rug. Great minds think alike, huh?

I even bought burlap and a hook and some fabric to cut into strips. I just am not quite sure how to start it. We have no rug on our floor right now, so I need to get cracking on it, but it's a bit of a daunting project.

Kelly said...

wow love this one...so simple & pretty.

Shari said...

This is a stunning quilt. Perfect for a modern baby in a new and challenging world. Well done.

harlsmits said...

That is so beautiful! I wish I could sew well enough to make something like that!