Monday, March 2, 2009

Stacked Coins Baby Quilt... ruined!!

So, I finished this quilt at the end of last week and I am so disappointed!!! I washed it and the teal colored chenille fabric I used for the backing bled to the front. Now, everything has a teal tint to it!!! Ahhhhh. The chenille fabric was from my grandmother and I did wash it after she gave it to me. I'm guessing that it is pretty old and just doesn't hold the dye very well.
Well, it was really cute before I washed it! :) I don't think there is much I can do now. I washed it a second time with color safe bleach, but that didn't do anything to help it.
Oh well, I guess the kids have another blanket to play with and make forts with! :)
I am going to try the stacked coins design again, it looks really sharp and was very easy to complete.
~Jessica

12 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, no, that sucks!!! Teal is an odd color to have that happen with. Usually it's red. All that work down the tubes, huh? But it will still be warm.

Now you have a quilt to take outside and such. I have a few of those and those are the ones we use the most. They should be the prettiest, right? But no, we save the pretty ones and use the "ugly" ones all the time.

Too bad, because this was such a cute quilt.

Amy said...

This is such a pity! I definitely feel for you (especially as I am getting ready to wash a completed quilt this morning -- now I'm paranoid!). But just think how much more quickly you'll be able to make this quilt the second time (I find the second time always much faster).

twin fibers said...

Thanks! I'm just glad I tried that chenille out on a small quilt... I had about 5 yards left of it!

Michele said...

Hey! Sorry about your quilt. Amandajean over at Crazy Mom Quilts had the same thing happen with some reds ... she was able to get all the bleeding out though. You should check in with her and find out how she did it!

Tara said...

I read once (I don't remember where) that someone washes their quilts with a cup of salt. I used this method one time (probably because I've only made one quilt...) and the red didn't bleed. I don't know if the salt thing worked or if the fabric just wasn't going to bleed but it worked!

Jodie said...

It's still beautiful... maybe you will start a new trend - like tie dyed quilts?

You could always donate it - that way you can feel better that it's going to someone in need who really won't mind a little discoloration. Maybe bring something positive out of the mess?

Beth said...

Oh, gradients and overdying are so "in" right now. Claim you did it on purpose!

summersadie said...

Oh how frustrating! You really can't tell from the picture though. And that does look like such a great pattern!

Jacki said...

I'm sorry Jess! I hate to see your hard work go to waste... but the previous posts have some good ideas for you!

twin fibers said...

Thanks everyone and for all the ideas! :)

Sarah said...

Have you tried Shout Color Catcher? Might be worth it??

Soukies said...

I use the color catchers too! They really do work so maybe you can rewash with one and see if it helps!