Friday, December 4, 2009

Layered Brick Pillows

layered brick pillow
I've been looking at the Brick Path Quilt that I made quite a while ago, it's on the couch now to keep us warm, and I really like the simple design of it. The rectangles of all the different fabrics really appeal to me and seem to fit in easily with our decor. So, I thought that scheme would work well for some pillows that I wanted to make for a Christmas gift.

In these pillows, I sized down the bricks to 3.5" x 6" when I cut them. If you want to make one of your own like mine, I used 5 bricks across on the top row, 4 on the next and then continued the pattern for 7 rows. Trim up your piece to 21". You should only have to trim up the width of the piece to 21", the height should be about 21" after sewing it all together. I also backed the patchwork front with a piece of muslin to give it a little more stability.
layered brick pillow - back
For the envelope back, I cut 2 pieces of fabric 16" x 21". Fold one side of the 21" side over twice (about a 1/2" each time) and top stitch. Layer the pieces with right sides together, pin and serge the whole thing together. I did straight stitch over some of the seams where the envelope meets, because there will be extra stress on the fabric there from putting the pillow form in. Turn it all right side out and insert your pillow form. :)

You may want to check a Tuesday Morning store for pillow forms, too. They have a nice selection of feather forms by the section with all the bedding at reasonable prices. I found these pillow forms in the clearance area, they had an ugly pink and blue striped cover with a really nice feather insert.

Well, we got our first snow fall of the season last night. No school for the kids..... there's about a foot of snow on the ground! They're so excited and have been out playing for a couple of hours already. Time to go get some pictures of it all.

Have a great day and thanks for visiting!
~Jessica

7 comments:

Jessica said...

I've been wanting to make pillows for our white couch and these are great! I love the combination of colors.

Anonymous said...

They look great! Nice work! - Jenn

West Michigan Quilter said...

Love your pillows. Saw F&P TV show yesterday and they were doing a brick quilt. I think I'll start with this smaller version like yours. Snow! Gads. Where are you? We're in Michigan. Yesterday it was beautiful and sunny and this AM woke up to about 7 inches of snow!

Leslie said...

this pillow is beautiful. thanks for sharing the instructions and letting us have a go at making one of our own. i would love to find the time

Jacki said...

I could only dream that you have my name for Christmas =) If not you will have more buisness after the holidays are done!

Karen said...

I really like the layered brick look. How do you think it would look in all black and whites, eg black on and white on black designs along with some plain tone on tone blacks.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh -- imagine this in batiks!