Monday, January 11, 2010

Mendocino Quilt

Mendocino Quilt
I finished up the Mendocino quilt this weekend! I tried something new (to me) with the quilting. The border fabric has a seaweed pattern in it, and I thought it might be fun to try some free-motion seaweed quilting.
Mendocino Quilt - folded
it was fun to do... could even look like flames, too. I like the "motion" it gives to the quilt.
Mendocino Quilt Blocks

Mendocino Quilt
...and here's what's at my sewing machine today. I'm trying to decide what to do with the quilting.... I tried a "loopy" quilting and didn't like it. So, I spent quite a bit of time ripping it out. I'm thinking the good 'ol stippling is going to win out again. :)
Snowball Quilt - quilting
I also have a tip....
So, when you can't find any masking tape around the house to tape your quilt backing to the carpet, you can always use straight pins. It worked great, and I think I might do that more often! The pins held the fabric tightly and I didn't have to waste all that tape.  That also goes along with not being able to find any scissors or scotch tape in the house because your creative children have run off with it all. (....I know Mom, you're laughing and thinking "paybacks are great"!) Yes, I can no longer find my favorite pair of scissors or any of the three rolls of scotch tape that I just got at the store.
Have a great day!
~Jessica

15 comments:

Tracey said...

The seaweed quilting really does look great! (And it looks kind of fun to do)

very nice.

Angie said...

The Mendocino is FABULOUS. I am about to use some in a pink colorway for a new baby. I'm really drawn to your orange, though. So sunny!

tasha said...

your quilts are both so cute! i love the seaweed quilting and i totally understand the missing scissors and tape. i have 4 boys and they are always making something!

MeganAnne said...

Love the Mendo quilt! I've got some blocks of my own done for a mendocino quilt, but haven't stitched up the top yet. I was at a loss for what to do on the quilting, but I think you may have just solved my problem. Can't wait to see your next quilt.

Jenny said...

awesome choice for border on the Mendocino quilt...looks great!

Leslie said...

this is absolutely beautiful. i just finished a mendocino quilt....the way you quilted this is inspired. you know...come to think of it...my kids always have all the tape around my house too.

silversmith said...

the quilt looks great!!

i love pinning my quilts to the carpet. it's the only reason i like having carpet in my house right now... every time i pin on during the last couple of months, i think about how i'm going to need to invest in tape when i put in the new floors. i've never taped one before.

Sandi said...

Love the quilting on the Mendocino quilt! So cool!

I Love Baby Quilts! said...

Love the kelp stripe quilting! This quilt made me realize how much I miss seeing Mendocino around on the blogs.

Jen said...

I love the quilting on that quilt. And I know exactly what you mean about scissors and tape... and glue sticks. My kids managed to completely use up my glue stick in one weekend.

twin fibers said...

Thank you so much for all the kind comments!!

Leslie said...

your blog is new to me but i wanted to tell you that i am loving reading it. i love what you are making and i am so inspired. because of that i nominated you for an award on my blog.

prashant said...

I am about to use some in a pink colorway for a new baby.

Work from home India

Amy said...

Wow! This quilt is amazing! Orange is not my favorite color (people occassionally called me carrot top), but this quilt is making me want to work with orange.

Barbara Konkle said...

I just purchase some of this fabric during the rerelease. I love this fabric so much! Trying to find just the right pattern to show it off. I ran across yours and had to tell you that it came out beautifully! :-)