Thursday, January 7, 2010

Snowball Quilt

Snowball Quilt top
I've seen many of these snowball quilts on flickr and thought I would give making one a try. It's fun! I took a couple of charm packs (Swell collection) and cut up some more 5" squares from fabrics that I had left over from making this quilt. It expanded in size and is now 120 snowballs. I think it's a much better size and with such cute fabrics, how could you not?! (I think it's about 50" x 60" now)
Snowball Quilt top

I'm not sure how other people have made their snowball blocks, but I took a 2" square of fabric at each corner of the charm square (those are 5") and sewed from one corner to the other on the 2" square. Trim off the excess fabric, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance and press the block with the iron. I made mine by chain piecing, so it didn't take as long as I thought it might. I also added a 3.5" border of fabric around the outside.

Snowball Quilt top
Now, I'm off to sew a backing for it...
Sew Connected block for audreypawdrey
and the Sew Connected group is finishing up with Audrey's quilt blocks. She's making an abc quilt and I got the letter "h". :)
~Jessicac

6 comments:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

This is the cutest snowball quilt that I have ever seen. I love your fabrics and colors.

Leslie said...

this is beautiful..thanks for cluing me in on how you made it. i have been thinking of making one for awhile now but never had taken the time, but this one makes me want to . i love it

silversmith said...

i've seen snowball blocks and all before, but never given it much thought. after seeing yours, i'm starting to think about making one. thanks for the inspiration!

angela said...

I love all that Swell! I keep seeing these wonderful snowball quilts. Such a great way to show off pretty prints. Great job!

prashant said...

I love your fabrics and colors.

Work from home India

Jennifer Katherine said...

Wow! That snowball quilt is just lovely hanging on the side of the crib like that! How special!