Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Flower Valley Quilt and Nicey Jane Dress

Flower Valley Quilt - fabrics

Last night, I started cutting some squares for this simple quilt that I drew up on graph paper. I'm using a combination of all the Hope Valley fabrics and a few others that have in my stash.
Flower Valley Quilt - idea

The fabrics are cut into 4" squares.
Flower Valley Quilt - squares

Here's what it looks like so far, laid out on the floor. I'm thinking that the dark color in the center of the orange flowers is going to have to get replaced. It just looks too dark and I really don't want it to stand out so much. (Kona Plum, Sage, Moss and Snow are the other solid fabric colors)
Flower Valley Quilt - designing

So, it looks like I'll have to wait to start sewing this one together (that's ok, I think I'll cut some more squares to make it larger). I've also started on a queen sized string quilt... 23 of the 90 blocks are made! I'll try to show some pictures of how that one is coming together later this week.
Nicey Jane Dress

This little dress is for my other niece. Again, it's from the Claire pattern (size 4) by Sandi Henderson and made with Nicey Jane fabrics.
Nicey Jane Dress - bodice

It will be so fun to see her running around in it this summer!
Nicey Jane Dress - hem
What are you working on this week?
~Jessica

16 comments:

Jen said...

I really like that quilt. I agree on the center of the orange flowers. Great job. I can't wait to see it finished. I just love the fabric.

Vickie E said...

That dress is beautiful really. and I have a FQ stack of Hope Valley...just got my order of Cotton/linen from KOna..your idea.it cool...I might have to copy?? teehee

Amber said...

That dress is absolutely adorable - may have to pull out my pattern and make one right away now! It is too cute! I like the dark squares but your eye does go right to them - looks great though!

Leigh said...

That dress is cuuute! What company do you order your labels from?

twin fibers said...

Thanks everyone!!!
Leigh... the labels are from NameMaker.com They are the woven fabric labels (I love them!).
~Jessica

littlecumulus said...

Super extra cute! Love it. I agree with you about the brown in the orange flowers. Lovely design, though. This week I'm working on my Good Folks quilt - bliss!

Nichole said...

both the dress and the quilt are lovely! i enjoyed seeing your planning paper. that is one of my favorite parts of the quilting process.

Cristin said...

Aw great quilt layout! I'm waiting for a charm pack of Hope Valley - can't wait to dive into it! I also agree about the dark centers of the orange ones... a tad too dark.

And your niece is going to DIE when she gets that dress - its just fabulous! I was a tomboy and hated dresses when I was little... but dang, that dress could have changed my mind! :-)

Domina said...

I'm going to have to sew that dress for Grace! I'm currently making a postage stamp baby quilt, maroons, browns and golds (needs something else - turquois?)

Beth said...

I finally got to see Nicey Jane in person and it is gorgeous! This dress does it justice!

Sara said...

I love the dress!

Sew Like Nobody's Watching said...

Gorgeous quilt in the making and LOVE the dress. I found you through the dress on flikr!

Sew Like Nobody's Watching said...

Oh and I am a quilter, I think you need the dark colors for contrast on the flowers. The other alternative is to switch your darks and lights. Your background colors to be dark and the centers of the flowers to be light? But I think the dark actually brings out your pattern. Hope that helps! It's very pretty.

nanann said...

Really loving the dress! Need to get hold of some of that fabric.

jaybird said...

love the sketch & where the quilt is headed...

mallorymurray said...

Oh wow, you make the prettiest things. I must start following :)