Monday, February 1, 2010

Shoo Fly Quilt

Shoo Fly Quilt - DQS8

It's the begining of February already, I can't believe it! I joined the Doll Quilt Swap on flickr and was really wondering about what to make, until I got the Liberated Quiltmaking by Gwen Marston book out of the library this past weekend. I love looking at the book (and not just the pictures)! I've actually read quite a bit from it and usually with a sewing book, I just look at the beautiful photos.
Shoo Fly Quilt - DQS8

This quilt block is called Shoo Fly (Process 7) in the book. It was really easy to make and I like that all the triangles on the corners are different. I somehow think it gives a little more action and a fun aspect to the quilt. I'd really recommend this book! I looked on e-bay and amazon and it's going for a lot of $$, so it must be popular right now.  (I kind of wondered where all the wonky log cabin, wonky star, and house quilt blocks were coming from... maybe from this book). There's also a second book to Liberated Quiltmaking that has just come out, too. I may have to see if the library has that one, too!
Shoo Fly Quilt - DQS8

So, this little quilt is for my swap partner! I think (hope) it will be fitting for her style and likes.
Shoo Fly Quilt - DQS8
Quilt Stats:
measures 21.5" x 28"
printed fabrics are from the Good Folks and Garden Party collections by Anna Maria Horner for FreeSpirit
solid fabric is Kona snow

Thanks for stopping by!
~Jessica

8 comments:

Vickie E said...

gorgeous!

silversmith said...

as soon as i saw the quilt, i thought of the book! i ordered mine last week and was reading it during my son's cub scout meeting on friday. it is fantastic!

beautiful quilt - it's got nice movement to it.

Jessica said...

Wow, I love this. I agree that the difference in the corner triangles is great--it's kind of a merger between traditional and modern.

I'm going to go get that book from the library when my son gets up from his nap!

beth said...

soooo pretty! love those colors with the white background!

Kacie said...

It's gorgeous, Jessica! I love how you used different fabrics on each block, with lots of neutral to make the fun fabrics and colors pop. Like others have already said, it is a beautiful modern twist on a classic quilt block. I want to make one now, too! :o)

Sara said...

Oh! lovely! great job!

Jess said...

It's great!

badlandsquilts said...

Lovely!