Friday, April 16, 2010

Having Fun with Flower Looms

Flower Loom Flowers

I haven't done much sewing in the past couple of months, but I have become a little bit obesessed with theses flower looms that were a popular craft in the 60's and 70's. I first saw them on a Martha Stewart show and did a little more searching on the internet to find out more about them. Cathy of California is the gal who showed how to make the flowers on Martha Stewart and her blog is full of great vintage goodness.
Flower Loom Supplies

I've been able to purchase some of the vintage ribbon straw and some of the looms on ebay. This booklet is so fun, too. It's from a company called Studio Twelve and it has so many cute ideas in it for what to do with the flowers you make.
Flower Loom Boquet in progress
I'm currently working on making a boquet in this small pot. I have lots more flowers to make to fill in the empty spaces.

Hope you have a great weekend!
~Jessica

6 comments:

Beth said...

OOHHH, I have an empty vase in my sewing room, perhaps I need to make these to fill it!

Elizabeth said...

Super cute flowers :D!

5star said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jane said...

How did you attach your stems? I just love this and am so inspired to try another hobby with my daughter!
Thank you!
Jane

Amy said...

What a great project!!!

neko said...

Hi -

Love the flowers!!!
Just wanted to thank you for writing this blog.

This is how I give back every year.

I make Christmas stockings for all of my 6 and 7 year old students and stuffed them with school supplies I know they need. I also add some fun stuff. Each stocking is very personalized. They love their gifts.
With 27 kids it took a long time this year, but it was so worth the effort.
All of my students come from low income households, so they have long learned to appreciate the little things- even at such a young age.

Just wanted to share my blog. It is about how I teach my young art students to be resourceful by recycling.

http://ecogreen4fun.blogspot.com/

Happy Holidays!!!
Cheers-
Neko