Monday, May 24, 2010

Entertaining Elephants Baby Boy Quilt

Entertaining Elephants Baby Boy Quilt

My daughter's teacher this year, had a sweet little baby boy a few weeks ago, and we wanted to give her somthing special for the new little guy in her family. So, K and I put together this quilt for her this past weekend.
Entertaining Elephants Baby Boy Quilt


Elephants Baby Boy Quilt - rolled

The elephant print fabric in the center is such a cute pattern, so we surrounded it with complimentary fabrics. We hope she loves the colors! But, I'm sure she'll love it most of all because one of her 4th graders made it for her. K did a fantastic job of designing and sewing it together. I only helped her with the quilting and binding.
Entertaining Elephants Baby Boy Quilt


Entertaining Elephants Baby Boy Quilt

If you would like to make a quilt top like this, you'll need a center panel of fabric that is 20.5" x 30.5" and 56 - 5.5" squares. Arrange the squares how ever you like in two rows around the center panel.  It's super simple and great for a beginner quilter.

The overall size of the quilt is approx. 40" x 50".  A great size for a quilt, playmat or crib quilt.
Entertaining Elephants Baby Boy Quilt - back

Here's a picture showing the back. We did a couple of stripes with some of the extra fabrics paired with a Nicey Jane print from Heather Bailey.

Have a great day!
~Jessica

Fabrics: Entertaining Elephants by Alexander Henry, Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt, Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey, small brown check (Mod Girls?) by Jennifer Paganelli, Full Moon Dot by Amy Butler, Kona in Delft.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

i absolutely love this..thanks for sharing the measurements to make it. right away when i saw it i knew i wanted to make it.

Melanie said...

So cute! I love simple quilts, especially ones that really showcase the fabrics. She did a great job!

Lara said...

This is perfect for a wee baby boy! And thanks so much for sharing the how to!

Jacki said...

Wonderful job Big K!!!! It looks great!!!

Sara said...

I love the fabrics! Well done!
Have a nice day!

nicolette said...

Lovely quilt and great fabrics!

Domina said...

looks like the apple doesn't fall far from the tree...I think I remember you sewing some things when you were in 4th grade! (and thinking you must have super powers - I still think that) :)

Cristin said...

oh this is a gorgeous baby boy quilt!!! love it! And well done K!

Alisa said...

It's simple and sweet. I love those elephants too!

Julie said...

I am looking for a nursery elephant print and this looks perfect. Did you order it online, or did you purchase it from a store? I would love to know where. I did see the name of the fabric and manufacturer you listed. Thanks so much for any help you can give me. julienash@aol.com

jan said...

Wow! K I'm so proud of you! I'm sure your teacher will be pleased and her little son is glad you were in his mommy's class.