Friday, June 11, 2010

The Floral Bouquet Quilt

So, while I should be sewing on this quilt, I just had to start another. I suppose the boredom of sewing squares togther endlessly was getting to me.
Ever since I bought the Jelly Roll Quilts book, I knew I wanted to make this quilt titled "Floral Bouquet". It's twin sized, has a cute flower pattern and I think it's fun to see how it turns out using a jelly roll.
I pulled out lots of different fabrics in a red/pink, lime and teal/blue color grouping and started cutting the 2.5" strips. Here are some of the flowers with round one of petals; one more round to go.
I think my favorite part of quilting has to be picking out the fabrics to use (and buying them!) and looking at books and patterns. I'd consider the Jelly Roll Quilts book a good buy. This is the second quilt that I've made from the book and there are a few more that I'd like to try. Here's the link to the first quilt that I made from the book, it's still one of my favorite quilts.
Over the past few months, I did buy these two newly released books from Sandi Henderson and Anna Maria Horner. They are both very nice books and have quite a few projects that I would like to try.
But, I'm really excited about these two new quilt patterns from Fig Tree & Co.. This year, my goal is to make each of my kids a quilt for their bed. I've had to stop joining in on swaps in order to simplify things a bit. When I do have time to sew, it's usually 15 minutes here a 1/2 hour there. I've just found that when I have another swap project with a deadline, I'm not able to work on the projects that I would really like to for my kids. They need something special made by their mom, too! :) I'll miss all of the wonderful swap groups, but I'm feeling good about making my kids a priority with my sewing.
I really, really like the Saltwater Taffy pattern! My boys will eventually share a room with bunkbeds and I have a stack of Katie Jump Rope fabric that I would like to use for their bedding. I'm going to try and increase the quilt to a twin size, so I am really excited to have found a pattern that I think will be a good fit for those fabrics.
But first, I'm going to make myself finish the Floral Bouquet Quilt for K. and the Flower Garden Quilt for me. There, I said it.... now I must get sewing!
~Jessica

8 comments:

Anita said...

I've had that book for about two years and have yet to make a quilt from it. I really need to crack it open and use that jelly roll sitting on the shelf!

Amber said...

It looks gorgeous - I do that all the time...start projects when I should be finishing the other ones! And I love that Saltwater Taffy pattern - think I'll have to pick it up!

Domina said...

I admire your resolve....I'm trying to be good and finish projects I've started too! Press on!

Marjorie said...

Love the colors your picking for you new jellyroll quilt. It looks like it's going to be fabulous! And I'm so jealous, I want both those books too ;)

Anonymous said...

Ok, how could you not tell me how cute that quilt is! I love it!! It will look wonderful in Big K's room! - your sister :)

Shanna said...

I love that Saltwater Taffy pattern, too!! Fig Tree has so many great patterns. Can't wait to see it with the Katie Jump Rope fabric too! Just found your blog today and already love all the quilts!

Shanna

amandajean said...

I, too, have been admiring the salt water taffy pattern. It would be soooo cute in Katie Jump Rope fabrics. The floral bouquet quilt is looking lovely! You chose great colors for it.

Carol from Panama said...

I just bought that jelly roll book and loved that pattern - yours turned out great - love your color choices - so fresh and summery.