Friday, July 23, 2010

Abstract Beach Block

SNTM VQBee Block for Gretchen - abstract beach block
In the Sew New to Me Quilting Bee, Gretchen asked us to make a block for her that is inspired by the beach. Well, that was a perfect inspiration theme for me! I love spending some summer evenings at the beach. (make sure to check out my beach pictures at the end of the post)
I decided to make something abstract showing beach grass/sand, water and sky. I used Elizabeth's freezer paper tutorial (map of the states block) to create this block. In an attempt to show you more of my process, I took some pictures of how I made it last night.

it's a humid day!

It's so humid outside today... my camera lens fogged up immediately when I went outside to take pictures! I thought it was kind of neat... kind of like fog rolling in off the lake.
beach block plan
Here's my process for the block. I drew a 15.5" square on the freezer paper and divided it into the sections that I wanted... beach grass, water, and sky.

beach grass pieces

My beach grass/sand pieces ironed onto fabrics. I trimmed them next, with a 1/4" seam allowance around the edges.
beach grass rows

...the beach grass pieces sewn together
beach grass and water rows

I changed the direction of the water section... thinking of the way the waves roll in along the shore. And above is the sky section with all of the pieces trimmed and ready to be sewn.
Beach Inspiration
...and here's a collage of my real inspiration. I took my older kids to the beach one night last week and enjoyed taking some pictures while they swam. I sure am thankful to live in such a beautiful area during the summer. These pictures were taken along the shoreline of Lake Michigan.
~Jessica

10 comments:

tong said...

Wow! That's an amazing block!!

Amber said...

This block is so gorgeous - and thanks for showing us your process...think I'm going to use it to make grass for my DQS9 quilt!

Leslie said...

this looks so amazing.. beautiful

Cristin said...

Dang! well done! I was thinking of doing something like that too! Yours looks like it took forever :-) Always love {map of the states}!

Gretchen said...

thank you for all the work you put into this! i love your inspiration photos and the foggy photo is great since there's always fog here in costa mesa. thanks!!

Magnolia Bay Quilts said...

I love yoru block, and the technique looks really fun!

Jacki said...

Great block, plus I loved the photo collage!

Aunt Jan said...

Great job Jessica!!! (I saw some great material for you just today!):)

Beth Gracie said...

Thx for sharing the process! It's gorgeous.

Chrissie Grace said...

I LOVE this-so gorgeous!