Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New pinwheel quilt

Pinwheel blocks
Since a little girl, I have claimed pink as my favorite color and Jessica claimed purple (although I don't know that she really like purple better, but just said that because being twins we just had to be different and "couldn't" like the same color)...  Anyway, I started a new quilt top the other day with some of my favorite pink fabrics and added in purple and aqua.  I've been having a hard time matching up fabrics together for a quilt, so I took the advice of another quilt blogger (sorry I don't remember who it was)... they had talked about picking out the colors you know you do NOT want in the quilt and then select your fabrics accordingly... so I rummaged through my scraps and found all the fabrics without yellow, orange, brown and black.  I then narrowed down my selections to the ones that went best together and that had most of the colors that I DID want.  I think this technique will help me get better at selecting fabrics (rather than just buying the whole collection of fabrics and making a quilt out of that- which I have done many times :) )
Also, have you heard yet of the great sale over at www.fabric.com?  $2.49/yard for some Westminster fibers fabrics!  I ordered some for the backing and binding for this quilt... so head on over there, they have some great ones on sale! - Jennifer

6 comments:

SandyN said...

Jennifer.... How beautiful.. I LOVE the pattern.... and the colours.

Sandy N

Susan said...

Jennifer - love how the quilt is coming along. I typically buy a whole collection too - but I like the method you used for selecting colors. Thinking I might try that sometime. And I'll be heading over to fabric.com - thanks for the tip!

Leslie said...

this is so so pretty

Jackie Russell said...

Love this pinwheel pattern!

Rene' Sharp said...

I have recently discovered your blog and LOVE it!!! Very, very inspiring! How wonderful that you have your sis are doing this blog together. Neither of my sisters is at all crafty! Can't wait to see how this quilt is going to turn out, it is going to be gorgeous!! I have just finished my first quilt and am in love with it!

Lisa said...

I hate to do this to you so late into the sale, but if you type in THX103 you will get an extra 20% off. I know the Westminster sale is only through today, but that makes it about $2 a yard so you may want to order some more stuff at that price. I ordered a ton myself.