Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Bird on a branch block

SNTM VQBee Block for Lisa - bird on branch
I had a lot of fun making this block for Lisa, who's in the Sew New to Me Quilting Bee. Her theme is birds, branches and bungalows. How fun!
SNTM VQBee Block for Lisa - bird on branch
The bird and branch applique patterns are from Anna Maria Horner's new book called Handmade Beginnings. I attached them with Steam-a-Seam Lite (a double sided fusible webbing) first and then stitched around each shape.
Lisa sent out quite a bit of fabric, so I was able to cut it into strips and make this great angled border. I haven't made mitered corners in a long time, either. I should try that more often, it looks good and really wasn't that hard.
I'm thrilled with how it turned out and hope Lisa will like it, too!

Just a reminder that you have until tomorrow at noon to enter the cuckoo clock fabric giveaway! It's open to anyone (who lives anywhere), so good luck!
~Jessica

15 comments:

Anna said...

This block is amazing! I can't decide what I like better -- the applique or the striped border. Either way, they work wonderfully together. Nice work.

Jessica said...

That is an awesome block! Love the fabric and the design.

mandy said...

Please do a tutorial on that border! I can usually figure stuff out just by looking at it, but my brain is already twisted up in knots just thinking about it! I love it and want to copy it! =)

Leslie said...

this block is just stunning. i love what you did with the border. just every single thing about it is amazing.

Staci said...

Your block is really great! I love the pieced border, and I really like that little bird & branch. That surprises me since I am not usually a bird motif fan! I'm sure your BEE friend will love it!

wishes, true and kind said...

That block is fantastic! I love ti :)

Lisa said...

This block is for ME! I'm thrilled beyond belief and I'm so lucky - how cool is that border?

Anonymous said...

I second Mandy! A tutorial on how to do the border would be super! This block is so unique, and I think an entire quilt made from blocks with these bias strip borders would be lovely! Beautifully done - your partner will love it!

QuiltyGirl said...

I just love that border! I will have to remember that to try in the future. :)

quiltytherapy said...

Yes, please post a tutorial on how you did that border.

Cristin said...

Well done Jessica! I've been thinking about what I should do with my fabric for Lisa... great inspiration! :-)

Beth Gracie said...

how adorable. you've inspired me to get back into doing some applique. nice work.

twin fibers said...

Thanks, everyone! :)
I'll work on a little tutorial for the border, ok?!
~Jessica

Carla said...

The fabrics really make these blocks pop. Just so lovely!

I have given you both the Versatile Blogger Award you can see here:http://sewitupbaby.blogspot.com/2010/08/award.html

Michelle said...

What a great theme to work with!