I've had a bag of these fabrics left over from this quilt project sitting in my scrap box for a long time. Yesterday, I decided something should be done with them (and I know someone who just had a baby girl, so this will be a perfect gift for them). I started out by making a wonky star with the leftovers, but I really wasn't liking that with these fabrics.
I really liked the Carnival String quilt I made earlier this year, but wanted to try making it with out foundation piecing or paper piecing. It worked great and the weight of the quilt top it is so much lighter.
I have a 10.5" square ruler, so I just used that to make sure that the next strip of fabric being added was long enough before sewing it on. It's such a faster way to go, although there are lots of bias cut edges that you have to be careful with.
This was the perfect solution for the left over fabrics. I have a very small pile of pieces left, and I couldn't have made any more blocks. I'm so glad I had enough to make the last one. :)
Now, I really think I should finish the first Darla quilt that I started.... I see that post was from July of '09!