Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Pinwheel baby quilt - finished!

Pinwheel Quilt 

I finished up this cute little quilt and I think it is going to head over seas to a little baby born earlier this year (I'm not quite on the ball and it will be a little late, but better late than never, right?).  This happens to be one of my favorite quilts and one of the first ones that I combined a bunch of different fabrics from different designers.  I think it turned out pretty well for being one of the first...

If you are wondering about how I made this quilt, I started out with (8) 3" colored fabric squares and (8) 3" white fabric squares for each pinwheel.  Draw a diagonal line on the wrong sides of all of the white squares (you will use this as a sewing guide).  Then with right sides facing each other match up one colored square to one white square.  Sew a 1/4" from the diagonal line (both to the right and the left of the line) and then cut exactly on the diagonal line with a scissors or rotary cutter, open up your pieces and press.  You now have two squares done for your block- with the rest finished you can arrange in the pinwheel shape and sew together.


IMG_7880

This quilt ended up being 33 1/2" x 42 1/2" (after washing), which I thought was perfect for a little baby.  I think sometime I'll try it with larger squares and make a bigger quilt. Hope you all are having a great week!  - Jennifer

11 comments:

Katy said...

it's great - I love it!!!! Lucky little baby!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

So cute! I am so making a couple of these!! Love the mix of fabrics too. Jenn

syocom said...

very adorable. I love it. I am stuck on my baby quilt I was making, one I lost it in the move :( and two I don't have motivation to finish it. Yous is amazing though.

Abby said...

I'm making this! Yours is beautiful!

Andi said...

A very beautiful little quilt!!!

Manda said...

Absolutely better late than never! Especially if its as cute as this quilt!

SandyN said...

Wow!!! your quilt is so beautiful... I love the colours...

The McAvoys said...

Very awesome quilt...great job! :)

Rene' Sharp said...

This is just gorgeous!!! My sister is having a baby at the beginning of next year and this would be just perfect!! Thanks for sharing!

Kathleen said...

What a beautiful quilt - lovely colours and striking design.

A said...

Ooh I love this - gorgeous colours and design.