Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The start of the Scallop Quilt - using up the Heather Ross stash!

 scallop1
Ok, so I have to tell you that my sister is the absolute BEST!  She gave (yes, GAVE me) a bunch of this fabric to make this quilt!!  I feel sooo fortunate to have such a sweet sister!  I know this fabric is out of print and some of it not available or very hard to find (or really, really expensive to buy now) but a few weeks ago we were at a fabric store and found some of the dot and seagull fabric and I got the itch to make a quilt out of these fabrics.  I didn't have any of the other fabrics, but Jessica said she would share with me what she had so I could make this... Start of a new scallop quilt
 I am following Sandi Hendersons quilt pattern in her new book called Sewing Bits and Pieces.  I thought it suited this fabric really well as some of the patterns are a little larger in scale and I thought the scallops went with the water/fish/beach theme of the fabrics.  I have been so excited to work on this - I have all 80 scallops needed for the quilt top all cut out and am in the process of ironing under the curved edges.  Now on to more ironing if my kids take naps at the same time today... lets hope!  - Jennifer

scallop4

12 comments:

Luv 2 Kreate said...

That was awful sweet of her to share! The quilt is going to be amazing!

izzy inspired said...

your sister sounds as sweet as mine...if she collected fabric, I am sure she would do the same thing. Sisters truly make the world a better place.

Your scallop quilt has got me drooling bright and early this morning. It is going to be so unbelievably adorable!!

Jodi said...

How wonderful. I have some scraps of both of those goldfish fabs that I won in an EBay war, and got for a good price, too! I'm saving them for a rainy day :-) Your scallop quilt is going to be lovely!

trish said...

Oh wow. What a sweet gift from your sister! I love your scallops! I have not seen a quilt done this way, and I am looking forward to watching yours come together. :o)
Have a nice week.
Sincerely ~ Tricia

Michelle said...

That's such great fabric -- it's going to be a lovely quilt!

aneela said...

This is looking great!! Can't wait to see the end result!

Beth Gracie said...

sooo in love with this design. and of course, the fabric is amazing.

Jacki said...

I can't wait to see this one finished! Its looks great so far!

Me? A Mom? said...

So cute! And such patience to iron under those curves. I wouldn't be able to do it. Can't wait to see the progress on this!!

Elizabeth R said...

What sweet, understated prints.
Can you tell me where/how you got your fabric Twin Fibers tags that I've seen sewn into your quilts? I'd love to get some tags along those lines for gift quilts I make. Thanks!

twin fibers said...

Thank you everyone, for all the kind comments! :)
Elizabeth - the labels are from Namemaker.com. They're a woven, fabric label; I've ordered from them a couple of times and have always been impressed.
~Jessica

Domina said...

Oh my, all those curves....you are superwoman! :)