Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket

Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket - fabrics
It was a cold and rainy Saturday here this past weekend and I started looking through Anna Maria Horner's newest book, called Handmade Beginnings and came across the Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket. I knew I had to make one for my little guy before he grew any more and this seemed like the perfect day to sew. I grabbed some Hope Valley fabrics washed and dried them (because I always shrink stuff way too much in the dryer) and got started.
Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket - pattern pieces
I traced the patterns for the largest size (24 mo.) and started cutting. The circle and diamond print for the outside, the stripe for the lining, and the green geometric for the placket and hood stripe. Pretty soon, I had the hood done and the jacket didn't take much longer. It really is a clever little pattern... all of the inside seams are concealed and it's fully lined.
Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket - vintage buttons
All I needed to finish it were some buttons. Now, I don't have many buttons on hand at all and these are the ones I came across first (and I think they are the only 4 matching buttons that I have). Perfect! I actually think these are from Katie when she made me a doll quilt in one of the Doll Quilt Swaps! Yup, I checked, they are from her. :)
Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket - front
...and here is my little guy in his new jacket.
Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket - back
The only thing I would change next time, is to make the body of the jacket a bit longer and add a couple of inches to the sleeve length. My kids are always tall and I should have know better and just cut it longer to begin with. It fits him perfectly now and that's all that matters!
Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket - side
I'll just have to make him another one in the spring.
~Jessica
pattern: Baby-in-the-Hood Jacket from the Handmade Beginnings book by Anna Maria Horner
fabrics: Hope Valley by Denyse Schmidt for FreeSpirit

22 comments:

Mrs. Darling said...

I just made this jacket for my little girl and was impressed by the pattern too!!! I love seeing this on your little guy!

Thanks for sharing!

Regina said...

It looks great!

Vickie E said...

that looks awesome!

Ariane said...

It looks so cute on him. I love the buttons too!! Perfect match!!

megan said...

I love it! The fabrics you picked are just perfect! I've had jackets on the brain for my little girl too but this one might be too small. I'm getting that book for the next baby though!

Domina said...

really, you are amazing. great work!

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

REALLY REALLY SUPER DUPER C

Kelly said...

I may just have to buy that book now! That jacket is too cute! Perfect fabric choices for a boy!

Leslie said...

this is adorable...the fabrics you used really make the jacket

nettie said...

so cute! i was just thinking today that I need to get my little girl a coat this year, but seeing this one, I might just make one instead.

Lara said...

Amazing! Love your choice in fabrics!

traceyjay said...

I've been avoiding this book (not because I don't want it, but because we have no extra money), and you might have just put me over the top!

Crafty Mama said...

How cute! You did a great job ☺

Anonymous said...

So cute :) It looks like he's taking up tennis at a young age. Yeah!

susan@tickledpaisley said...

adorable! You did a great job!

Katie Jean said...

this is amazingly cute!! I was so excited to see the buttons I sent to you were put to good use :)

Emily said...

I'm working on this jacket right now, and googled to see if anyone had any pattern tips, and your post came up. This is totally adorable! I wish I were better at sewing curved things. :) That would make this project much faster and require fewer uses of my seam ripper.

Totally love your fabric choices. ADORABLE!

twin fibers said...

Thanks everyone! :)
Emily:
My tip for working with the curves (like the hood stripe and arm holes) would be to pin the ends first and then start easing in the two pieces together from there. That way you have the ends match up and you know what has to go in between. One you have your seam sewn, clip the curves, that really helps everything lay flat. Hope that helps a bit!
:) jessica

Amelia said...

Totally adorable!!

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

i've cut all my fabric out and started pinning the hood together and going to start sewing tomorrow. yours turned our PRECIOUS! ...i hope mine is only 1/2 as cute! :-)

Our Busy Little Bunch said...

SO CUTE!!

Anneliese said...

Wow you did a great job. I had the same problem with the length of the jacket and if you really want to show off the lining fabric (by turning up the cuffs) then you need to add extra length there too. I wish I had read your post before I started :) This is my version: http://lieseandalyssa.blogspot.com.au/2012/05/baby-in-hood-jacket.html