Friday, September 17, 2010

Floral Medallion blocks

Floral Medallion blocks
I get sidetracked easily.
When I should be finishing up other projects, I just can't help myself by starting another.
Floral Medallion blocks
I'm thinking I should stop at these 8 blocks and make them into 2 pillow covers. They might coordinate nicely with the Flower Valley Quilt that has yet to be finished. :)
Floral Medallion blocks
I drew my own pattern for these flower medallions and used the fabric design on this dress as an inspiration.

Some have asked how the appliques are done. I use a product called Steam-a-Seam Lite 2. It's a light weight double-sided fusible webbing. Basically, you trace your design onto one side of the paper backing, take the other side's paper backing off and stick it to the wrong side of your fabric. Cut out the shape, take off the other paper backing, stick it to your base fabric and iron it in place. It works really well... I used that with the monogram baby bibs that I made a long time ago and the fabrics are still stuck on strong (and they have been washed many, many times!).
Once I decide how to put these blocks all together, probably with some sashing, then I'll quilt around each of the shapes. That should be fun?!
Have a great weekend!
~Jessica

22 comments:

~quiltedbydawn~ said...

Wow! Those blocks are fabulous!

teaginny said...

The solid you used makes these blocks especially FAB!!

ktquilts said...

Fabulous!!!!!

Jodi said...

You are very creative - they're gorgeous!

Nina... said...

Wow! I love the bright magenta for the background, really makes the Hope Valley pop. Can't wait to see the finished project.

Natalie said...

do you mean that you're going to put your top together and then stitch your applique? I would think you would want to stitch your applique first and then assemble the top so that you're not maneuvering so much fabric under your machine.

I love the colors! Great job making your own applique templates!

Jennifer said...

Gorgeous! What color is the background fabric?

Emily said...

Those are STUNNING! Love the colors. Really, really beautiful.

Sara said...

I love this idea!

Leslie said...

these are gorgeous

QuiltyGirl said...

Oh, I really love these!

twin fibers said...

thanks so much for all the kind compliments! :)

Natalie - I was thinking of trying the applique method that Kellie at the "Don't Look Now" blog. From what I see, she makes her quilt sandwich and then does the quilting of the shapes (by free motion quilting). I thought I'd give it a try, if it turns out horrid.... I guess I'll just take it out and start over. :)

Jennifer - the background fabric is Kona cotton in Plum.

:) Jessica

Amber said...

wow - these are absolutely stunning! Can't wait to see them all quilted!

Princess and the Pea said...

These are gorgeous! I love the colours!

nattyg said...

I love love this quilt. Any chance you'll post your pattern pieces? I'd love to do something like this with blues...

pamela said...

This is truly stunning!! I think it could be done with needle turn applique for those of us who like that sort of thing. Either way I am sure it will turn out wonderful. I for one can't wait to see the finished results and look forward to a pattern!!!

Cindy said...

Love your blocks!

Victoria @ BUMBLE BEANS said...

ooh! what fun blocks! what color is that you used for the background? perfect!

Megs said...

This is just gorgeous, Hope Valley seems to be so versatile, think it is time to cut into my stash! I have done a course with Kellie of Don't Look Now, and her way is quite easy( once you get used to it) and very effective, I think you should definitely give it a go.

Manda said...

Wow these are beautiful!

Jan said...

Great blocks and I have some of that Hope Valley fabric so might be up for some appliquing myself soon.

Myra said...

Ooooo.. I love the look of these blocks! Very nice! 8-)