Saturday, September 4, 2010

Pop Flower Quilt - Urban Home Goods Swap Update

Urban Home Goods Swap - my helper
I made some progress last night on my Home Goods Swap quilt (and my little helper is always present to give me direction)!
I stitched around each of the appliques with a coordinating thread color, added the border and now I'm on to the quilting.
Urban Home Goods Swap - starting to quilt
I had to stop and think about if I really like it or not. I'm considering taking it out and doing some hand stitching around each of the flower. The same as what I have done above with the one flower, but with a running stitch of brown thread.
The background on this little quilt is linen and I find it really difficult to work with. I think the linen I bought is intended for clothing and not quilting, so it stretches and moves and has a very drapey effect (not the best to quilt with). I think I might be able to control it a little better if I did the hand stitching. Maybe I'll give it a try on a small sample. Any suggestions or recommendations?
Thanks!
~Jessica

17 comments:

Leslie said...

this is adorable

traceyjay said...

it looks awesome!

And I can so relate to the first picture.

I'm not one to usually go for hand stitching (takes too long!) but I think it would finish this quilt perfectly. I'd definitely give it a try (and I have some of that kind of linen too -- it's too flowy!). :)

ktquilts said...

First off, if you need a home for that FMF quilt, I know a good one! ;0)
Second, spray starch, spray starch, spray starch.

Third, more spray starch!!!!

Just loving that quilt!!

Blessings,

KT

Anita said...

That is such a sweet little quilt.

lisapin said...

That is totally adorable. What a lucky recipient.

courtney.janelle.sews said...

I second the spray starch comment. It's so lovely!! Adore the machine stitch but hand stitch would also be beautiful.

Bailey said...

What a cute quilt. I would use embroidery thread to stitch around each flower and leaf.

Alison said...

I third the spray starch comment!
Fab quilt

Nova said...

I know exactly what you mean about that linen as I have some like that too, so I can completely understand the hand stitching thoughts now...(just came over from flickr)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Oh, so spray starch? I'll have to try that next time. Drat, I was thinking that might have been for me, but now I don't think it could be. bummer.

Sandy said...

oh, that quilt is adorable!!! and how cute is your blog?!

twin fibers said...

Thank you everyone!!
Ok, I'll spray starch and spray it some more! (I did take out the brown stitching and am doing some handstitching. I couldn't find any brown, so I'm using an off white perle cotton. Looking good so far!)

Thanks again for all of your sweet comments!
~Jessica

Kellie said...

spray startch and then send it to me when you are done - this is just so delicious!!

Kathleen said...

looks amazing! Love the design :)

Jodi said...

You can't be serious that that flower is hand-stitched around it??? It looks perfect! Don't you hate when you think of these things AFTER it's done? It would look marvelous on all the flowers, though.

WillowBean said...

This is SO awesome! Kudos to you... your hard work paid of BIG time :)

Anonymous said...

I love your little helper picture. He's so cute along with this little quilt~ Aunt Jan