Tuesday, October 12, 2010

ArtPrize 2010

The Ring quilt by Bruce Seeds at ArtPrize 2010
A friend and I had the opportunity last week to enjoy a morning checking out the ArtPrize competition in Grand Rapids. It was a beautiful fall day and we had so much fun walking around the city and admiring all of the art. I was happy to come across this quilt in the competition. It's called No. 13 (The Ring) by Bruce Seeds.
The Ring quilt by Bruce Seeds at ArtPrize 2010
It's made from a single piece of fabric that is cut into triangles and then sewn back into hexagons! When the triangles for each hexagon are cut from the same placement in the fabric, it really looks like you are looking through a kaleidoscope. I think it's fun to see what was done with a single piece of fabric.
The Ring quilt by Bruce Seeds at ArtPrize 2010
The quilt was beautifully constructed and really fun to see in person.
I can't wait to see the ArtPrize competition next year!
~Jessica

10 comments:

Leila said...

I love these kinds of quilts. I am on the look out for the perfect piece of fabric. This one is amazing! Thanks for sharing.

Becky said...

WOW! Beautiful! Kind of reminds me of a big beautiful 4th of July firework!

Rachel Hauser said...

That is AMAZING! So beautiful and so much time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

iknitipurl said...

That's just an amazing piece.

Blue.Ridge.Girl said...

I am in the middle of working on one of these...this inspires me to get back to it. What a beautiful layout this quilter put together! Thanks for sharing :o)

Beth said...

It looks like it is lit from within! Amazing! I read an article of the winner of ArtPrize -- what a touching story!

ange said...

how beautiful! Would have loved to have seen it in person. Thank you for sharing with us.

Braden and Whitney said...

Oh my gosh! That is beautiful! I just want to stare @ the top picture! Lovely! :)

Myra said...

What an awesome quilt!!! Another to put on my "to do" list!!! 8-)

Carol said...

That is a really great quilt. My sister-in-law has been posting various pictures from the ArtPrize competition on Facebook since they live in Kentwood.