Friday, October 1, 2010

Diamond Chain Quilt & tutorial

Diamond Chain Quilt
Yea! It's finished!
I stitched the binding on last night and washed it up this morning.
Diamond Chain Quilt
Diamond Chain Quilt
Diamond Chain Quilt - binding
The binding adds just a nice contrast of color for the quilt.
Diamond Chain Quilt - hanging
quilt stats:
size: approx. 41" x 52"
fabrics: from the collections of Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey, Park Slope by Erin McMorris, Mezzanine by Patty Young, Pretty Please by Jennifer Paganelli, Aviary by Joel Dewberry, Flights of Fancy by Paula Prass and a pink print that was a gift from some friends (no info. on the selvedge)
Kona white
backing fabric: Patty Reed Designs for Fabric Traditions, NTT

and here's a little tutorial on how I made a block for this quilt...
Diamond Chain Quilt - template
First, you need to make a template for the center triangles. Use graph paper and draw a triangle with a base of 4" and a height of 4". Use your clear rotary cutting ruler and add .25" seam allowance on each side of the triangles.
Cut 8 triangles for each row using a 5" x 44" piece of fabric.
D C Quilt - step 1
For the outer borders, cut 4 - 3.5" x 44" strips of fabric for each set of 8 blocks. Stitch one of the sides of the triangle onto the 3.5" fabric strip. (I chain pieced mine, making all 8 blocks at one time)
D C Quilt - step 2
Press your triangle and trim the border. Make sure that when you are sewing on your borders that you leave enough fabric extending along the top and bottom of the triangle to allow for trimming. This block does have quite a bit of "waste" fabric, so just be prepared to add to your scrap pile.
D C Quilt - step 3
Here's the block with both borders added on.
D C Quilt - step 4
Now trim it to the correct shape. Line up your ruler along the base of your triangle center and measure up 6" to get the correct height (my ruler is a 6" wide ruler so, I used it to trim the top and bottom at one time).
D C Quilt - step 5
Here's your completed block. Make 8 of these for each row in your quilt.
As long as you make them with all the same seam allowances, all your blocks should be the same. Here's the start of my layout for this quilt.
Diamond Chain Quilt - planning
For the ends of the quilt, I just stitched on strips of fabric to each end block and trimmed the whole quilt square when I had the quilt top sewn together. (In this quilt, white fabric on the left blocks and pink fabric on the right side.) Sorry, I don't have a picture of that, but I think you get the idea.
Now, you're ready to sew your quilt top together!

I'm sure there may be other ways to make this quilt, but this was just the way I made it. It was quick and easy and only used one template. There is quite a bit of "waste" fabric that you end up cutting off when trimming the blocks, so this may not be the quilt for you, if you don't like adding to your scrap pile. I also don't know if there is a pattern like this already available. I came up with this design when I was trying to come up with a "chain" look in a quilt.

Please let me know if you have any questions!
Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

...and I'm linking up with amylouwho's Sew & Tell!

31 comments:

Lisa said...

Love, love, love this quilt and the tutorial, which I bookmarked to add to my MUST do in 2011 list.
Thank you for sharing!

Kristie said...

This is beautiful! Graphic and yet not harsh, and great fabric choices. I just finished up a Nicey Jane quilt this week, and am working on a second in the New Wave pattern...this reminds me of that one, with a twist! Nicely done!

Visiting from Sew and Tell :-)

Cindy said...

Love your quilt!! And thanks for the tutorial - I'm definitely going to have to try this one!

Alisa said...

Oh, this is breathtakingly beautiful! I'm not a quilter, but I sure do love to look at them!

Blessings,
Alisa

Jan M said...

Gorgeous quilt! I love the bright colors popping against the white.

Nicole said...

Adorable! I love everything about this. Thanks for the tutorial. :)

Miri said...

Gorgeous quilt! Thanks for the tutorial-I was just going to try to figure out what you did, when I scrolled down a wee bit and there it all was.

Katie B. said...

I love this quilt! Thanks for the tutorial.

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

What a cheery little quilt!! Great tute!

Delilah said...

Those fabrics are so beautiful together! I love the colors you picked from nicey jane! And that is so generous of you to take the time to show us the block! Thank You.

Angela said...

It is so beautiful Jessica! love the contrasting binding, and what a fun tutorial! thanks for sharing. :)

Karen said...

Love this quilt!!!!!

mummastimetocreate said...

What a super duper CUTE quilt!! And thanks heaps for the tutorial - I think I just might need to give it a try :)

Tracy said...

Oooh! I love it!! Thank you for sharing!!! Ooh-ooh-OOH!!

J said...

This is the freshest 'modern' design for a quilt that I've seen in a LONG time. I was trying to figure out how you made it...so glad you gave us the tutorial. The fabric choices are spot on...so glad you didn't grab one fabric line..this has personality. Thanks for sharing!

Lurline said...

Beautiful - very tempting!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Michelle (lemonadeGal) said...

Beautiful quilt! Thanks so much for the tutorial! It is definitely going in my "to-do" file. Simply beautiful!!

Seams Inspired said...

Great tutorial! It's above my beginner level just yet, but one day I may try it. Your quilt is beautiful! :o) Visiting from Sew&Tell. Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o) Larri at Seams Inspired

ktquilts said...

Drool!!!!! Love Nicy Jane, and that is a great pattern!!

Blessings,

KT

Alexandra said...

I love the quilt! Thanks for posting a tutorial with it. Another quilt that I MUST make. :)

Myra said...

I love the quilt and the fabrics in it! Most darling... 8-)
Thanks so much for the tutorial! Wow!

Manda said...

Thanks for the tutorial! I love this and the fabrics you've used are beautiful!

Colleen Greene said...

Such a beautiful quilt! I love the pattern, and I love the colors you chose. I can't wait to try this out.

-- Colleen @ Made by Colleen

Amelia said...

It's beautiful Jessica!! Thanks for sharing the tutorial ... I think I might already have some fabric picked out to make this :)

Hideaway Girl said...

LOVE this pattern, and your tutorial is awesome! Definitely one for the to-do-list! Thanks for sharing.

Rene' said...

Such a beautiful quilt!!! Really lovely. Thanks for sharing!

amylouwho said...

love it! these nicey jane fabrics are totally fun! great tute on the block too.

Ariel said...

OOOOH! I don't get over to your blog ENOUGH! I'm absolutely loving the diamond chain quilt! xxxxxo!

amandajean said...

oh, i LOVE IT!!!! it's wonderful! nice fabric choices and a fun design.

Lori said...

Love this! I'll definitely be bookmarking this tutorial. Thanks!

Marianna said...

Neat quilt design. Than you for sharing it.