Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Farmdale Quilt

Farmdale Quilt block
I loved the vintage patterns, chickens and apples in a few of the prints of the Farmdale Crossing collection and purchased a small fat quarter pack of them a few weeks ago. I've been itching to make something with them ever since. So, I combined them with some other prints and solids to make a modified bento box quilt. Ashley's quilt here is what started it all and I've been wanting to make one of my own ever since seeing her quilt!
Farmdale Quilt blocks
I made 13 blocks (one extra on accident... oops!) measuring 16.5" square
Farmdale Quilt block - cut
and then cut them into quarters.Farmdale Quilt - blocks
And then, rearranged all the pieces. Maybe I should have moved the two blocks in the upper right corner that both have the big white border, but for some reason, I left it. There has to be a little "quirkyness" to the quilt, right?!
Farmdale Quilt

So, here it is all sewn together. It really is very busy and I think I like it, but it may have to grow on me a while. (I really did like it a lot before I cut the big squares up!)
Farmdale Quilt
Farmdale Quilt
...and maybe it's just the gloomy evening light that makes it look kind of boring. :)
Anyway, here's another to add to the pile of quilts to finish!
~Jessica

26 comments:

Kelly said...

I love it! It's fun and cheerful!

traceyjay said...

dang it Jessica, this is way too cute! You're adding to my list of projects! ;)

Diane said...

super cute!! Love it.

Kari said...

Oh, it is fabulous. Not boring and way better than the plain boxes at the beginning. Love it. Best Bento I've seen in a while. I'm won over--planning to copy.

Purple Quilter Queen said...

I love it! The color combination is so warm and homey! Jenn

Isisjem said...

I love this - I really love the 'plainer boxes' at the start so think I'd like to do something similar without the cutting up bit. But I'd like to do the cut-up-and-rearrange bit too so maybe two quilts? ;-)

Amber said...

oh wow - it's beautiful! I want to make an apron with that aqua flower print!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Oh wow...what a fantastic idea! I love the gorgeous colours in those fabrics!! Makes a really beautiful quilt.

Sew Ladybug Sew said...

I love the bright colors and that you cut the blocks into quarters what a good idea. I am going to have to try it.

Kelly's Korner said...

I don't think it's boring! I think I want to make one!

RED PEPPER QUILTS said...

No, definitely not boring. It's a fun quilt. Beautifully pieced and arranged.

inkie-mumma said...

wow! I love this one <3

Leslie said...

this is stunning..i love this pattern and the fabric makes it even more gorgeous

Sylvia F said...

I love it I want to make one too, can any one spare few hours in a day.
Sylvia F:)

stitchinpenny said...

The quilt is fantastic and it didn't even have to grow on me.

Mary said...

I absolutely love, love, love this! Great fabric combo, great colors, great design!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It's beautiful, in case you were wondering!!!

Megan said...

Umm, LOVE! You'll see I have a similar something to reveal soon, but I'm adoring this with Farmdale and solids!

Marit said...

Beautiful colors! I hope you like it better after a bit of time to "mature".
If not, I want to make a little suggestion - would a bit of sashing between the blocks quiet down the business a bit?

free indeed said...

Oh it is lovely! I love the colors...so pretty!

cozy said...

Love, love LOVE this!!!!
thanks for sharing!

A said...

I love this - the colours are fab. I just made a block for one of my Bees using some of this fabric and thought it was lovely.

Sarah said...

I love this! It gives me an idea of what to do with some fat quarters I love but couldn't find a pattern that went well with the fabrics!

Jan said...

Oh that is really gorgeous. I have some of those fabrics so I might do something similar.

I love reading your blog.

Kelly Irene said...

Oh wow. I love the fabrics you used in this one! The blocks look great mixed up like this!

becca said...

I LOVE this!! Just bout a new machine and totally want to break it in by making this! Love this blog :)