Thursday, October 14, 2010

hexagons and other things

IMG_0626
I have to admit, I've been a little afraid of the latest bee that I joined. It's based upon the hexagon pillow by Tacha that's in the first issue of Fat Quarterly.
I've never made a hexagon before, up until a couple of nights ago. It's not so bad... I started with the larger ones in the center rosette and then sat down in front of the t.v. for the evening to make the rest of the smaller ones. Hopefully, I'm making them right, at least they look good to me. And it is nice to have something that I can do with my hands while relaxing in the evening.
IMG_0627
It surprised me, I really do like the block we are to make. I can imagine it with 12 of these gorgeous blocks... all assembled into a quilt top. It will be impressive.
IMG_0624
I have a long time to dream about my quilt. I'm the last hostess in the bee with my blocks being made in Oct. 2011. That's ok, it will probably take me that long to decide on a color scheme anyway!
So, here's the start of my block for Brioni. I think I'll work on hand stitching those little ones for the border tonight.
Sew New to Me blocks for Lisa
...and here are some more bee blocks that I've been working on for the past couple of weeks.
Sew New to Me block for Kelly
Sew New to Me block for Kelly
*the pattern for the block above can be found here: Salt Water Taffy (it's free) and makes a 13" block
do. Good Stitches blocks for Alecia
Hope you have a wonderful evening... I'm off to do a little stitching.
~Jessica

ETA: Many thanks to Scarlett at CraftGossip.com for the lovely post about my hexagon quilt block!

As seen on CraftGossip.com

9 comments:

razberiswrl said...

Wow. Those are all insanely gorgeous. I hope I am this good one day! I love all the color combinations and patterns.

SewLindaAnn said...

I really like the way you mix fabrics. Those blocks all look fabulous and I'm totally jealous of how incredibly lined up your seams are. Impeccable!! I'm still working hard to get my seams neatly done.

MandMStudio said...

The fabric is amazing.

Beth said...

Wow, Jessica, they are all great, and I really love that hexie block, but the second pinwheel block is AMAZING!

mummastimetocreate said...

WOW - I'm in hexie love!! Those are all gorgeous!!

Scarlett Burroughs said...

Jessica,

I love your hexie block so hard I linked to it here,

http://quilting.craftgossip.com/hexie-quilt-block-by-one-of-the-twins/2010/10/15/

Warmly,
Scarlett B
Quilting Editor, Craft Gossip

P.S. As a twin myself, I so get you two doing a blog together.

Leslie said...

these blocks are so pretty!!!

Jennie said...

Love your pinwheel blocks. They are a bit of an obsession with me right now. Yours are gorgeous.

Rachel Hauser said...

That hexie block is very pretty. Me, I love making hexagons, but hate piecing them. I'll always applique!