Friday, October 29, 2010

my favorite quilt

Dutch Pinwheel Quilt
Amy's hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival that starts today, and I'm joining in to share with you my favorite quilt. It's small and simple and not of a difficult design, but it's special because it's a quilt that I made for my grandma. She has been a great quilter for many years and has made me several beautiful wallhangings and I figured that it was about time I made one for her. :) You know, she will really appreciate the love, time, and effort it takes to make a quilt specifically for someone else.
Quilt in tree
I finished this one up at the end of last year and brought it to her house for her. I think she was pretty surprised. It's funny, every time I talk to her on the phone, she has to tell me where this quilt is! It's usually on the end of her bed, lying diagonally with one of the corners almost to the center of the bedspread (that's just how she describes it!).

The fabrics in this quilt also have a great connection with me and my grandma. She has a very large doll collection and I always remember going to her house and sorting through dolls, making doll clothes and even making and playing with paper dolls. (The fabrics are designed by Sandy Klop for her Snippets collection.) So, a fabric collection with paper dolls on it was perfect for her.
Folded Quilt in tree
I'm so glad that I could make something for her that she really enjoys. I'm hoping that I can make her a larger quilt soon, as it always seems that she is feeling cold.

So, that's what makes up my favorite quilt! It isn't a large size or a difficult pattern, but it's been made and given with love.

I hope you have time to visit the Blogger's Quilt Festival, it's sure to be full of inspiring quilts and stories.

~Jessica
Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

41 comments:

Karen said...

Love the colours and I especially love your story. It is so satisfying when the recipient loves a quilt you made so much and understands the 'labour of love' it was making it.

ktquilts said...

Great quilt!!! Way to love your Grandma!!

The Tulip Patch said...

Oh, you had me at "American Jane"!
Beautiful quilt, and nobody appreciates a gifted quilt as much as a quilter!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Wow I LOVE this quilt! Thanks for sharing about it.

stitchinpenny said...

Love the pattern. What a great story.

Jane said...

Thank you for sharing! Love the quilt.
Can you tell me what the pattern is called?

Suzanne said...

A quilt is always the best when love is put into it and loved by the receiver! Great quilt!

Jennifer said...

I remember loving this quilt and it's story when it was on Quiltstory! Sometimes simple is the absolute best!

Jennifer :)

Rene' said...

Jessica, what a beautiful story! I love that quilting connection between the generations. This is a beautiful quilt! Thanks for sharing!

Ariane said...

I love this quilt!!! I want to make one like it!!!! It's on my to do list! Thanks for sharing!!!

Leslie said...

this is great. i love it! the fabric you used it is so fun. it shows that she loves it.

Katie B. said...

What a great quilt for your grandmother! I love that she tells you where it is. :) Perfect striped binding!!

CJ said...

Came here from FLICKR due to your Henna Garden quilt and I see you make LOTS of pretty quilts. LOVE THIS one too!!!

Sew Lovins said...

Super cute..love the colors ;)

ScissorsandThread said...

I really like the story behind this and the quilt is beautiful. Does the pattern have a name - I always refer to them as double x's as it what they remind me of!

Chris said...

Too sweet! I love American Jane fabrics.

Carol said...

A very pretty design and a great way to link two things that your grandma loves.

Kathy said...

What a nice thing to do for your quilting grandma. I am sure she loves her new quilt.

Allie said...

Your quilt is gorgeous--and a great story too!

corinne said...

The quilt as always is great, but the story makes it beautiful. Lucky grandma.

Allie said...

What a wonderful story behind this quilt, you're so right, Snippets is the perfect fabric! This is a beautiful quilt!

Simply Sandy said...

I love this quilt and that you made it for your grandma. And the fabric is perfect. I love snippets!

amy smart said...

This is such a sweet quilt! I love that Snippets collection - and it's even sweeter because of the paper-doll connection with your grandma. I love it!

Kit Lang said...

Awwww... great story! and a pretty quilt! :)

Mary said...

Great quilt and a great story. I love this pattern but never knew the name. I love the fabrics and colors you chose! Sandy Klop is one of my favorite designers. Lovely quilt! thanks for sharing.

Dresden Quilter said...

It is so beautiful.

Angie said...

Cute fabric with the paper dolls!

Karen said...

Your quilt has turned out so well. I love HST against the white fabric. It always looks so fresh.
A gorgeous quilt!

Sandra said...

What a crisp, modern quilt. Very cheerful. What a generous gift and how sweet that your grandma likes to keep you updated on its locations. Clearly she loves it and of course you.
Come see my antique 1890 schoolhouse quilt
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com/

Kelli said...

I love this pattern. How awesome are half square triangles?????
That is such a sweet story about your Grandma!

Christine said...

I love your quilt and story. They both inspire me!

Mama Mel said...

What a lovely quilt with cute fabric! :)

Carla said...

It's darling!

mngirltx said...

What a sweet story! A favorite quilt doesn't have to be big or fancy...it's the love that goes into it.

quiltmom said...

What a special quilt that you shared- There is nothing nicer than making a quilt for someone who you know is going to love it. The fabrics are so appropriate- I remember playing cut out dolls at my grans and they are a memory of a treasured time for me. It sounds like you have similar memories of your time with your gran.
Thanks for sharing.
Warmest regards,
Anna

Kate said...

What a fun quilt and a great story. It's so nice to have a quilt appreciated.

Vicki said...

this is adorable. I love the snippets collection.

Julie Fukuda said...

Lucky Grandma I would say.
Thanks for the story.

SarahB said...

I love the story behind this quilt! It certainly is a special one!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful quilt! I may have to track down your pattern :) Thank you for sharing you story and your quilt!

Eileen said...

that is such a great quilt. love the layout and fabrics and colors. thanks for sharing and have a great day