Tuesday, October 26, 2010

needlecraft magazine

 
I thought I'd share some pictures from a magazine my mom gave me a while ago. I just love these vintage craft magazines... this one is about 40 years old! The colors, designs and advertisements are really fun to look at and read. Maybe they'll just inspire your next sewing or stitching project. 

Ok, the quilt in the last picture, I just had to include. Isn't that  just crazy!  Can you imagine sleeping under a quilt that has a head, arms and legs?!
~Jessica

(images from needlecraft, published by Good Housekeeping, new york, fall-winter 1971-72)

10 comments:

Alecia said...

That's awesome! My mom and aunt went to a quilt show that I decided I was "too modern" to go to a few weeks ago and they picked up a TON of books from the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s . . . and I LOVE THEM! I was so jealous I didn't go. Fortunately, they are nice enough to share with their snooty quilting daughter/niece. I am going to have to share some images of them soon!

Erin Marie said...

I LOVE the last quilt. So much fun. And a built in pillow, wherever you are (the head).

Alexandra said...

Love the crewel!! I wish they still sold those patterns.

razberiswrl said...

OMG! Those mushroom pillows are SOOO cute. Love. The doll quilt is super creepy though, lol.

thought/found said...

OK...L.O.V.E. those mushroom pillows. Is there a pattern in there for them?! You should totally scan it and put up a PDF if there is. You know, in all your spare time...

Now the doll quilt, on the other hand...I think I would have had nightmares sleeping under that thing. It's just so creepy! I think I would even get creeped out while sewing it together.

Jane Blogs said...

Totally agree with razberiswrl ~ that doll quilt would have given me nightmares... lol

Katie said...

How much are you selling that magazine for???!!!!!! PLEASE SELL IT TOME!!! IL OOOOOOOOOVE EVERYTHING!!!
=CD

sewkatiedid said...

that doll quilt is a crack up. Can I nab that photo?

twin fibers said...

Isn't that "doll" quilt crazy!! It still makes me laugh....
Katie, you can use the picture, if you'd like. :) Please link back here if you use it online. thanks!
Jessica

Messy Karen said...

guess what? i actually made that doll quilt. i left the magazine at my grandmothers after i was done. but the date is around the time that i made it. here's what i posted a few year ago. enjoy!