Wednesday, October 6, 2010

twin fibers quilt challenge - Jessica's reveal

Henna Garden Fabric Stack
It's been a fun challenge to see what I could do with this stack of fabrics! I love the results... it's definitely a quilt that's all "me".
Henna Garden Quilt - plan
I really loved the design of this vintage quilt, so I drew it out on some graph paper and went to work cutting fabrics. I must really like quilts that have a graphic design to them. For some reason, the order and pattern of them really appeal to me. Kona white and charcoal are the two solid fabrics I chose to add.IMG_0514
Here's the progress of sewing the quilt - in pictures...
Henna Garden Quilt - 4 patch blocks
Henna Garden Quilt - 1/2 square triangles
Henna Garden Quilt - 1/2 Square triangles
Henna Garden Quilt - 1/2 blocks
Henna Garden Quilt - stack of blocks
Henna Garden Quilt - blocks
Henna Garden Quilt - rows
Henna Garden Quilt top
I like how the design makes "squished" star shapes! It measures 72" x 64".
Henna Garden Quilt top
This pattern also uses very little printed fabric. I only cut 3 - 2.5"x22" strips from each of the fat quarters! There's a lot left over for other projects.
I'm trying to find the right backing for it now. I would really like to use flannel, it's so soft and I think would be nice and warm for the fall and winter.
Jennifer... what did you come up with?
~Jessica

29 comments:

RWL said...

lovely! and i think flannel backing would just be heavenly. :)

Petit Design Co. said...

I love your version (and the vintage one is pretty awesome too) Kona Charcoal and white, 2 of my favorite solids!

ps have you checked out the new Quilty Giveaways site?
http://quiltygiveaways.blogspot.com

Alexandra said...

Love it! I think I might use this design to use up some of my left over Jelly Rolls strips. Thanks for the inspiration!

Beth said...

Gorgeous! Officially one of my new favorites!

Leslie said...

this is amazing...i think you took this challenge and rocked it!

Jane said...

Stunning! I am so inspired! Thanks so much for sharing your process.

ktquilts said...

ROFL!!!!! I skimmed the pictures and thought, "that looks like my quilt"! Then I went back and read the post more carefully, clicking on the link to see, my quilt!!! I have always intended to make this pattern. What are the odds when I have a whole yard stack of the same fabrics? I started design for my henna garden quilt. We will see!

Blessings,

KT

Anna said...

Wow. This is visually stunning!

Angie said...

Jessica,
I love your design. I just received my last fq of henna garden Monday, so I will be rocking out on mine here soon, I will just be a little behind. I love your use of the dark and light solid. I hope to get mine posted here soon.

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Wow Jessica - it looks amazing!!!

Caroline ~ TrilliumDesign said...

Beautiful design!

Anna said...

I love the design! It looks fantastic!

Quiltstory said...

How do you guys quilt so fast!!!??? I am so envious of everything you create. Love it all!

Jennifer said...

Wow the design is so simple but it really shows off the fabric! I love it!

traceyjay said...

really striking!

I too love those prints. And I love what you've done with them here. :)

Madame Samm said...

Striking it is...bold, yes, colourful yes, and rather appealing...
worst thing...it is not mine lol
blessings msamm

Karen said...

I love this quilt. How did you com up with using black???

Blue.Ridge.Girl said...

Wow, I love this! The combination of the bold contrast (charcoal & white) and the more subtle contrast with the prints. It's a perfect contrast :o) And, I too love the squished stars it creates...great job!!

Angela said...

looking good Jessica! This quilt top is absolutely gorgeous. xx

Colleen Greene said...

Such a beautiful pattern, and your choice of colors totally accentuates it.

-- Colleen @ Made by Colleen

Nichole said...

this looks fantastic! i love that the pattern really makes the fabrics pop and look so striking.

Til said...

I have been searching and searching for a pattern for my nieces wedding....THANK YOU for posting this!!! FABULOUS!!! this is it!!!!! can you tell me what the measurements are for the cutting? I would really appreciate it.....please just click on my name and leave it on my blog or email me!!! thanks so much!!!

Theresa said...

Those photos took my breathe away. This quilt is gorgeous. Lovely job!

Amelia said...

It's beautiful Jessica! So striking and I love those Henna Garden prints. Can't wait to see what Jennifer comes up with ...

Abby said...

This quilt is beautiful....now if only I could find all those Henna fabrics I could make one. Great idea!

Suzanne said...

Very nice! What a fun idea to both make a quilt with the same fabric. Yours turned out beautiful!

anne said...

Wow stunning....can you share the block size etc as I am sure we all would love to make one toooo. Plse plse plse....pretty plse.

amandajean said...

oh, goodness, that is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Love This!