Monday, December 27, 2010

a Christmas quilt and dress

Well, we've been enjoying all that Christmas brings the past few days and it's been a great time to relax and enjoy the true meaning of it all. We've had fun going to family parties, visiting friends and having some time off of school and work.
 My kids would really like some more snow, but apparently we're living in the wrong area right now (I'm sure I won't be saying that in a few weeks).
I'd thought I'd share a few "sewing" related things from the past week....
Quilt Love
Last night, we had one last family party, and I was able to give my Grandma the quilt I made for her. It's a gift that I made for our whole extended family to give, so I also brought along a piece of fabric for everyone to sign. I can stitch that on the back at a later time when I visit her, so she can remember the details about this quilt. It was a fun evening and I'm glad I could give my Grandma such a special gift.
Freshcut Dress - a
I also got it in my head, the week before Christmas, that my nieces really *needed* some new summer dresses. These are always fun to make and this one was no exception.
Freshcut Dress - d
A little bird applique is one of my favorites! (it's from Anna Maria Horner's book "Handmade Beginnings")
Freshcut Dress - b
I also made another little dress... that promptly got wrapped as soon as it was finished. It was made out of the purples and greens colorway of the Freshcut fabrics and went to Jennifer's little girl. Maybe I can get her to take some pictures of it sometime. :)
(The pattern for the dress is Sandi Henderson's Claire Dress... a great pattern that I've used many times!)
~Jessica

10 comments:

Cara said...

Now I want to see the other dress because this one is too cute! So glad you were able to give your grandma a quilt!

Domina said...

I love that quilt, and that photo of you with your grandma will be one you cherish forever. :) Merry Christmas!

Cassey said...

I love that dress!!! Almost enough to attempt garment making for my 3 year old. Nice job!

traceyjay said...

that quilt is gorgeous, and the dress is so adorable.

wonderful sewing! :) And Happy new Year Jessica!

live a colorful life said...

The quilt is so beautiful and your grandmother looks so happy! and that dress is adorable beyond words.

corinne said...

Love the dress, the bird add alot to it. Great job.

Karenkayw said...

Beautiful quilt and dress! I love the bird.

Kathleen said...

I love your choice of fabrics in the quilt - just beautiful. And I love that you made if for your grandma - how special. Love the little dress too - very cute :)

Little Miss Shabby said...

Oooh love that dress Jessica! I'm a huge fan of Freshcut and I've used that Claire pattern myself a time or two--it's such a great pattern.

Faith said...

Love the quilt and the dress! I'm making a quilt for my grandmother-in-law for her birthday this weekend. I hope she is as happy with it as your grandmother!