Friday, December 10, 2010

Scallop Quilt - finished!

Scallop Quilt finished 
Its been MONTHS since I started this quilt and finally finished it last night! Yay!  Part of my motivation for completing it was an early Christmas present from my husband... a brand new sewing machine!  I am sooo thrilled with it and am so excited to get sewing again and finish some bigger projects since my old machine broke a couple months ago. 
Happy Recipient of Scallop Quilt 
I just love this quilt - the fabric is super soft and now that it is washed, it is just perfect to snuggle under.  You can see my little guy just adores it and mommy is so happy that he likes it!  I even pieced together a pillowcase so he could have a matching set.  I think I spotted some of the blue stripe fabric at my local quilt shop, so I think I might purchase some more and make a fitted crib sheet (yes, his sheet pictured is much too babyish for him...but what are you to do when its the first one you grab in the middle of the night :) ) .
Scallop Quilt - Up Close 
I followed Sandi Hendersons quilt pattern from her book called Sewing Bits and Pieces.  I did option to leave off the borders that were called for since I thought the quilt was already big enough for my toddler.  It went together quite easily once all the scallops were cut and the rounded edge was ironed under.  This pattern may look a little intimidating, but it really isn't that bad - I just followed her instructions on how to iron under the edges and it worked perfectly (although it took quite a long time, but hey, what quilt doesn't take a while to make! :) )
Scallop Quilt label 
My new machine has options for sewing words, so I programmed it to quilt this to my son - this is about one of the only quilts that I have labeled so far in my quilting career... now there is no excuse not to at least date and "sign" my quilts!





   quilt stats:
 size: 46" x 56"
pattern: from Sandi Hendersons book called Sewing Bits and Pieces
fabric: some of the fabrics from Lighting Bugs & Other Mysteries by Heather Ross
pieced, bound and quilted by Jennifer
Hope everyone is having a great week! - Jennifer

25 comments:

Amber said...

Wow Jennifer - it's amazing. I can just imagine how soft it is too - those fabrics are extra soft...and he looks like he loves it :-)
Congrats on the new machine - how fun!

Paula said...

So cute - what a lucky little guy. Also, it is way cool that you can now label all your quilts.

teaginny said...

Jennifer - this is such a fantastic quilt! I love the fabrics, and this pattern is perfect with them, soft and sweet but still great for a boy. You two are killing me - great quilts all the time!!!

Jacki said...

Great quilt!! Even better that you got your Christmas present early!! Enjoy!!

twin fibers said...

It's so cute, Jennifer! It looks like a new quilt has made everyone really happy at your house today. :) ~Jessica

Jennifer said...

Super awesome!! That pattern is so cool and the fabrics are perfect for it...

Jennifer :)

PS congrats on the new machine!

jessica said...

beautiful quilt!

may i ask what type of machine you have? i new to big quilts and am having a heck of a time quilting anything besides lines with my dinky machine! just looking for some recommendations. Thanks!

Beth said...

Looks great! And is your machine a Janome?? Your letters look like mine!

Cook Clean Craft said...

Your quilts are beautiful! I wish I had the time and patience to quilt.

Anita said...

I love it! You did a great job. What kind of sewing machine did you get?

beth said...

This is such a sweet quilt. Love those goldfish! Perfect.

live a colorful life said...

I love the fabric in this line. Sure wish I had purchased more when it was easier to get :(

The label is super cool!

Leila said...

Beautiful! I love the matching pillow case too.

Jessica said...

What sewing machine did you get?

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Absolutely love the quilt!

twin fibers said...

Hi everyone- thanks for your kind comments! Some of you wondered what kind of machine I got - it is a Janome 6600P (go figure that my sister already had one! :) ) Anyway, I LOVE it- it has been wonderful to quilt larger quilts on and I think I'm going to enjoy many years of sewing on it. Thanks again! - Jennifer

Karen said...

The quilt looks wonderful. the scallop pattern is divine as are the fabrics.

Angela said...

Jennifer, this is gorgeous! Great way to use the fabric, and I love that layout. :)

syocom said...

such an adorable quilt. It looks really nice.

Jeannette said...

Fun pattern & great use of the fabrics!

Carla said...

The fabrics you used to make this lovely really make this traditional pattern very modern.

Shannon M said...

Oh I love how you can put the signature. What a memory!

Anonymous said...

Very cute Jennifer! Love, Aunt Jan

Suze said...

Love this quilt, super job!

Mary said...

Love this quilt....I will have to look for the book! Thanks for sharing!!! Mary