Thursday, January 27, 2011

Parasols quilt progress (Snails Trail pattern)- almost complete!

Snails Trail quilt top
Wow, this quilt is finally taking shape!  I told myself if I made 6 blocks a day that I was doing good and I finally completed them a couple days ago. This quilt will be 12 blocks wide by 12 blocks long plus a couple borders added to it to make it perfect for my king sized bed.  Just for fun I timed myself and I could make 3 blocks in a hour... so if you do the math it comes out to about 48 hours of cutting material and making blocks.  Yipes!  Totally worth it for me because I think the final product will have such a cool look - I'm really looking forward to quilting it (or getting it long arm quilted).  As I was admiring it the other day I noticed I made two blocks wrong though... I have a couple of the small pieces switched around so I'm debating taking them apart and re-doing it or just leaving them... ugh, I am torn both ways.  Really don't know what I am going to do...

Anyway, I was so inspired by my sisters Ferris Wheel pillow I decided to try my hand at making one too.  I had all sorts of smallish pieces left over from cutting for the quilt that I thought it would be nice to have a make a pillow too.  So, here it is so far (and the blue background is what I painted our dressers to go with the new quilt- its been fun to be re-doing our bedroom with bright colors!)
Hope you all are doing well today- its been snowing again here today- boy, I cannot wait for Spring! - Jennifer

31 comments:

Megan said...

I LOVE this quilt so far! I'm on pins and needles, waiting to see how it turns out!

~Michelle~ said...

This quilt is going to be so fresh & fun! I would leave the mistakes - you're probably the only one who will notice! I read somewhere once that the Amish leave an imperfection somewhere in each quilt, as an acknowledgement that no one is perfect - that's definitely my quilting motto!

Charity said...

I couldn't agree with you more, on the can't wait for spring.
But this quilt looks like a nice distraction. Very bright and cheerful.

Karin said...

I would ask someone else if they see the mistake and if they can't find it, then maybe leave it. It would drive me nuts though, so I'd probably fix it. I have a couple quilts where points don't line up quite right and it really really bugs me and I wish I would have fixed them before they were quilted!

Regina said...

Those are gorgeous. Love the fabrics you chose!

angela said...

It looks amazing! I love that pattern, but it's so fiddly. I don't get along well with pieced triangles.

And those are some of my favorite fabrics - it will be awesome all finished.

Mrs. Darling said...

I love that quilt! How much fabric did it take?

Michele said...

Magnificent! I admire your dedication. It sure is beautiful.

Deanna said...

Beautiful! Definitely worth it.

Live a Colorful Life said...

This quilt (and pillow) is beautiful! Love the HB fabric!

Elizabeth R said...

I love your quilt - just before you posted the first mention of it, I'd seen the same design on another blog and told my mom how much I loved it. I'd love to try one for myself, so you've inspired me. Thanks!

Cindy said...

Those Heather Bailey fabrics are one of my all time favorite lines. You've done a beautiful job showcasing the fabric with your choice of patterns. Both the quilt and pillow are gorgeous.

stitchinpenny said...

May I suggest that unless every time you look at it you it really bothers you - don't change it since no one but you will notice.

Carol T said...

Your quilt looks awesome. I love your what your pillow will look like too. I laugh that they are getting so much snow out east and we haven't had much here in the middle of Michigan.

corinne said...

Beautiful. Wonderful as usual

razberiswrl said...

I love everything about this quilt. I want to make one too! I would probably make a huge mess though. LOL!

Jacki said...

Great job Jennifer! Mom said you were working so hard on it, its nice to see your progress!

pamela said...

Lovely and bright quilt. I would leave the mistake in. I had heard the same thing about the Amish and I agree with it. There is no such thing as perfection. We have had our fair share of snow here in TN too. I am soo tired of it. Ready for Spring!!!

Lara said...

What a gorgeous quilt. It's fabulous. I'd leave it as it is :) no one will ever know!

a.niza said...

this is really going to be a gorgeous quilt! can't wait to see it complete.

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

They're both absolutely beautiful. Well done!

Darkangel said...

wow amazing I found this blog yesterday, and it took me until today, to look through all these wonderful pages, with lots of quilts and ohter cute things.

and I love the colors of this quilt above, its wonderful

Hugs Cornelia

Past Traditions said...

I totally can't wait for spring either. Your quilt looks wonderful ~ I could not find your mistakes. I would leave them unless its really going to bother you knowing they are there. :)

Maria said...

GORGEOUS quilt!!!

Karen said...

Your Snail Trails quilt is simply gorgeous!

joanna said...

I LOVE your Parasols pattern. I kind of envisioned it going more modern when I was designing it and you did it proud!

Can't believe you did it in KING size though... not sure that I have ever done that in all the years I have been quilting LOL!

Joanna

O'Quilts said...

Your quilt came out very very nice..great job.

ScissorsandThread said...

Love the quilt - yummy Spring colours.

Teje said...

Hello! I just love this first quilt! ...but I was looking around your blog and I love everything...I should comment every post because all they have so beautiful things! You are so telented with lovely taste! Thank you so much for ideas and inspiration! See you soon!
Sunny wishes from Crete! Teje

Melissa @ Happy Quilting said...

These aer stunning!!!

CJ said...

How was this quilt to make? Tedious? Hard? It sure is beautiful but I'm not sure I'm up for the task. :S