Friday, January 7, 2011

the start of a new quilt - Parasols Pattern with Heather Bailey fabric

Parasols Quilt pieces 
I'm quite excited to get working on this quilt.... It is going to be king size (which I said in the past I would never make because it is so big) BUT, this pattern appeals so much to me and I had some Christmas money to spend, so what better way than to buy fabric?! :)  I've been working on a few of the blocks and cutting to size the rest of the colors so I can sit down and get sewing on some more.  
Parasols PatternThe pattern I am following is called Parasols by Fig Tree & Co although traditionally I believe this pattern is called Snail Trail and probably goes by a couple other names but I'm not sure what they are.  Anyway, this pattern has an interesting way to make the blocks because you do not have to cut your triangles on the bias- you actually fold a square into a triangle shape and use the fold as your sewing line.  It makes for doubling up the fabric quite a bit (which I'm not sure I like because of the added weight), but I'll work with it for this one and see how it ends up.
Now I better get working on this one fast... I'd like to see if I can have it complete before our new baby arrives in early April. - Jennifer

Quilt fabrics are Pop Garden and Bijoux by Heather Bailey in the Poppy Leaf colorway.

18 comments:

kelly lautenbach said...

This is going to be a stunning quilt. :) Can't wait to see it all together! I love that fabric...

Our Busy Little Bunch said...

This is going to be such a beautiful quilt!

Thea said...

I love this pattern! I'll have to make it, some day!

Terri said...

This was one of the first patterns I ever made except it was called snails trails in a kids quilting book. I should try it again with something more modern:)

Thanks for the inspiration

bountiful quilter said...

I love this! Snails trail quilts are always so beautiful. I can't wait to see it.

Amy said...

Looks stunning, good luck

Karenkay said...

Thats a great pattern and the fabrics looks terrific!

Christie, Describe Happy said...

Really interesting block and great fabric to work with! Best of luck and wishing you lots of progress!

9patchnurse said...

Love it!

pioneervalleygirl said...

This is going to be gorgeous! I love the Heather Bailey fabric and the Snail Trail pattern, though I'm curious to see your results with this folding technique.

Heather Bailey said...

Fun, fun!

heather said...

It's going to be FABULOUS!! Just found your blog an I LOVE it!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm going to find that pattern.

Karen said...

All those beautifully cut and stacked pieceswaiting to be sewn together. Its going to be a beautiful quilt.

live a colorful life said...

All those little stacks of fabric are too cute!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Very pretty. You're giving that new sewing machine a good work-out!
Aunt Jan

traceyjay said...

those are beautiful so far! :)

Angela said...

Jennifer, this is beautiful! This is one of my all time favorite quilt patterns ever, and totally on my to-do list. Can't wait to see more!

Sally said...

I really like this pattern and the fabrics that you have chosen, too! I can't wait to see how it turns out.