Thursday, February 17, 2011

Color Story Quilt - {stacked} palette

Color Story Quilt - A
Have you ever looked at the Design Seeds blog? It's a wonderful blog where a color palette is shown using a beautiful photograph. I've been enjoying looking at the beautiful color combination's that are drawn out of the photographs and thought that I should take a color palette and create a quilt with it. Late one evening back in January, when I was home sick with my little guy and the rest of the family was out skiing, I decided to take this {stacked} palette and pull out some fabrics that would fit this color combination.
 image source: design seeds
I decided to try and only use fabrics that I had on hand, so I started cutting squares of the prints and solids. I wanted the project to be simple and quick, since I wanted to see what it was all going to look and if this idea would really work. In a matter of a few hours, I had all the pieces cut and the quilt top sewn together.
Color Story Quilt - a

Color Story Quilt - b

Color Story Quilt - C

Color Story Quilt - B
I like how the quilt has turned out and that its finished, but I really don't love it. Looking at it now, I think I should have added in a large dose of white or a cream color and a different pattern design may have been better (like a stacked coin quilt, perhaps).

All in all, it was one of those instant gratification projects. I got to try out mixing some fabrics together in a quilt that I wouldn't have done, if not for the palette picture. My main goal was to gain confidence in mixing fabrics from many different collections into one quilt and I think I was successful with that. I'll definitely try using a color story picture for another quilt sometime.

I'm enjoying trying some new things with my quilting, and I hope you are encouraged to do the same with yours!

Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

Quilt Stats:
size: approx. 63" x 68"
pieced, quilted and bound by Jessica

19 comments:

Suzan said...

Really lovely!

Rene' Sharp said...

What is not to LOVE about this quilt, I think it is absolutely stunning!!!

Pamela Nees said...

I love the randomness of it all~ the colors mesh really well! Great job!

Michelle said...

The quilt is lovely - I think you've done a fantastic job of selecting fabrics that complement one another. Your comments point out a caution in using design seeds - which I also love - as a guide for color. They're great at pulling colors out of a photo, but the colors are then represented equally. In the inspiration photo, the neutrals are dominant and this seems to be what you wish for in your quilt. I always struggle with this - getting the color balance right is so hard - but luckily we all seem to enjoy the practice!

Rachel said...

I think this is a really pretty colour combination, without the extra cream/white. Beautiful!

Amanda said...

I absolutely LOVE the way this turned out. I like the simplicity of the design...and the colors all work well together. White/Cream would add another element for a totally different look, but I think this is great!

Karen said...

I love it! The colors are used in a rather "spontaneous" manner and very effectively so! Don't think I would change anything about it.

traceyjay said...

so gorgeous!

I love your border choice too...

Jennifer said...

Really beautiful! I like how you tried something new. Thanks for sharing that blog... I had never seen it before but I'm fascinated now!

Jennifer :)

Rachel Hauser said...

Thanks for the tip. I've been wondering where all those color palette pictures were originating from!

CalCandide said...

I think it's beautiful!

Also, I really love your blog. I'm also a twin, and my sister and I are taking a beginning quilting class right now. I can tell we're definitely going to be quilting for a long time.

Live a Colorful Life said...

I will definitely check out design seeds. And I agree with everything Michelle said above...

I really like the quilt and the idea that you used the color palette as a starting point.

Miranda said...

What a great idea! and I love it just the way it is, its gorgeous! I might have to try this with a colour palette from the design seeds. Thanks for sharing :)

Jo @ a life in lists said...

It's a gorgeous quilt, and I'm sure, like every quilt I make teaches me, it will teach you something for next time. It's always good to try out a new technique (or three) when making quilts, and think how much you've learned about colour theory!

rachel griffith said...

i heart design seeds.
<3

rachel griffith said...

{ummm i was NOT trying to be rude by not commenting on your quilt. i was juat eager and pushed comment before my mind caught up with my fingers. i heart your quilt too!!!}

Angela said...

I love how it turned out! It is so pretty, and i still need to check out that website.

Jenniffier said...

Wonderful! I love the colors and the simple blocks. It is just wonderful. I too am going to check out the site.

extra long twin sheets said...

Very useful tips for make your home more attractive with extra long twin bedding style. I think that is so great! Thanks for the information on topics.I was excited by this article.