Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mug Rug Madness

Moth Mug Rug - with coffee and cookies
This week, over at Erin's blog, it's Mug Rug Madness week... and I just had to join in and make my first mug rug this morning! It only took an hour or so and I took some pictures along the way so you could see the progress. Mug Rug's are really just a decorative little quilt to set your coffee mug and snack on. I know, my snack looks a little funny with those two little "piles" there, but those no-bake cookies really did taste good. ;)
Moth Mug Rug - sewing steps
I started with the moth print fabric (it's a knit fabric cut from a pair of munki munki pj's). I fused some interfacing to the back of it, so that it wouldn't stretch as I was sewing and quilting. That worked perfectly.
The other fabrics, I just grabbed out of the scrap bins and went to work. Even the binding was a part of a piece left over from my Hope Valley quilt.
Moth Mug Rug
 I also gave a try at machine top stitching the binding.  It looks good from the front, but I don't like how the back looks when the stitching goes on and off the binding. Oh well, it's not like this is a reversible thing and it was good to try it out. I just think I'll stick with the hand stitching the binding on the back. I actually enjoy that part of quilt making.
 The overall size is about 7" x 8".
 Thanks for visiting!
~Jessica

16 comments:

Manda said...

Love the butterfly! I enjoy hand stitching the binding too :)

Erin @ two more seconds said...

Wow, I love this! The way you put the stripes on a diagonal is great!

ictero said...

Cute! I tried machine sewing the binding on a pot holder last week and decided that I like hand sewing the binding much better, too. And then I can hand sew and watch TV - without feeling like my brain is turning to mush!

Live a Colorful Life said...

So cute!!

Lee said...

Very cute! I need to get going and make a mug rug!

Ranelle said...

Love it!!
Looks like a good way for me to practice some mitered corners. They scare the stuff'n out of me.

Oh... and can I get that cookie recipe? It looks devine. : )

Michele said...

Absolutely adorable!

Victoria Paige said...

Your mug rug is very cute. Machine binding is my friend :)

Karenkay said...

it's adorable!

Sherry Edwards said...

It looks fabulous! I like the orange edging which goes surprisingly well with the pink.

I haven't made one yet, but am following Erin's blog so will do one soon.

Leslie said...

This is so cute..I love the stripey border

Little Miss Shabby said...

How cute! I know what you mean about the machine stitched binding--I tried that myself awhile back and just didn't like the results--Rita from RPQ makes it look so slick but I didn't have the same luck! =)

Jody said...

Check out Rita's method at Red Pepper Quilt for machine binding...your stitching ends up nice and neat on the back - very professional.

You start by sewing the binding on the back, flip your binding to the front, then stitch in the ditch in the front of the quilt. Results are perfect! It avoids the imperfect results you mentioned and no stitching is seen on the front of your quilt. Hope that makes sense!
Jody

Homeowner Insurance said...

Super cute! I like the orange edging which goes surprisingly well with the pink.

Karen said...

I love these Mug rugs too. I want to teach my friends and have an exchange! Have never tried to sew my binding by machine either...so, maybe I won't! ha!

Jeanne said...

Very nice mug rug!
I LOVE no bake cookies! I wish I hadn't seen those since now I am going to have to make some and when I make a batch I eat them like crazy!