Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Parasols Quilt - finished!

 Parasols Quilt - finished!
Well, here is the finished quilt!  I picked it up at the end of last week from a long arm quilter (which I am soooo glad I didn't quilt this one by myself!) and she did a fabulous job.  I am so happy with the results!  If you remember I had made a couple mistakes in some of the blocks, so I did end up taking them apart and re-making them.  All in all, I think I found 9 or so blocks that I had made wrong -made me so frustrated and I have no idea how I could have messed up that much, but I did!  Must have been in a mode of just sewing and not really paying attention to what I was doing...  anyway, after I got over that, I added a couple of borders pieced together the backing.
Parasols Quilt - finished!

I made a couple quilted pillow covers out of some of the extra fabric that I had to go with it and finished up the small accent pillow too.

This is definitely the largest quilt I have ever made - and being in my last 4 1/2 weeks of pregnancy, I am so glad that it is done and off my mind.  Now onto thinking about baby... well, that consumes my mind most of the time too :)   Hope you are enjoying the day - it is so bright and sunny here but still lots of snow on the ground - cannot wait for spring and for a little green grass and spring flowers! Take care- Jennifer
 Parasols Quilt - finished!

Quilt Stats:
size: 112"x112" (king size)
pattern: Parasols by Fig Tree Quilts
(this pattern also traditionally goes by Snails Trails and probably a couple other names, but I used the Fig Tree pattern to create mine)
Large pillow pattern: used pattern from: www.freespiritfabric.com/core-pages/gallery.php?gal_id=114
Small accent pillow pattern: used pattern from qisforquilter.com/2009/10/ferris-wheel-quilt-wip/
fabrics: Heather Bailey Pop Garden and Bijoux and white Kona cotton
Batting: 80/20 cotton
machine pieced by Jennifer and professionally long arm quilted

45 comments:

Alisa said...

It looks fantastic, Jennifer! The pillows make it look extra special.

I didn't know you were expecting. Exciting! Hope all goes well.

Jenny said...

this is so incredibly beautiful! great timing too!

Nina... said...

Really beautiful! The pillows are the perfect accent! The red really pops!

Heather said...

Wow, it is gorgeous. I love it! It's so bright. Good job taking the blocks out and redoing them, I don't know if I would have done that :D

Jennifer said...

It's just beautiful! AND you used two of my favorite fabric lines...

Jennifer :)

The Rx quilter said...

Oh my, this is beautiful! I just bought this pattern because I loved what you were doing. Great job and the coordinating pillows take it over the top! Lisa in Texas

Monet said...

It's just beautiful! I love your color scheme. Great job!

Our Busy Little Bunch said...

It's gorgeous!

And all the best with the end of your pregnancy!

fallingforpieces said...

Stunning finish! Just really beautiful.

Shayla Sharp said...

This is just gorgeous! Your bed looks so coordinated--like some sort of Pottery Barn catalog!

Patti said...

WOW just stunning. I LOVE IT. Someday I'll be able to do this.
Patti xxx

Pamela Nees said...

I LOVE your quilt! Job well done.

Petit Design Co. said...

love it, it's so awesome

Manda said...

Wow this is beautiful! :)

CJ said...

Yes, BEAUTIFUL!

Maria said...

Gorgeous!! Especially love your color choices. I want to make one. :)

razberiswrl said...

It's just stunning. I am in awe. :)

Laurie said...

I LOVE POP GARDEN! You have totally inspired me. Great job.

Michele said...

Stunning finish! It's so pretty!

West Michigan Quilter said...

Your quilt is beautiful, fantastic! I gathered all the fabrics several years ago for a snail's tail, made one block and gave up. You do beautiful work!

Paty Z from Mexico said...

The colors are beautiful, what a nice combination. Wonderful quilt!!!

Hideaway Girl said...

Beautiful! I love the pillows too.

Charity said...

Even if there is snow on the ground, this seems bright and fresh. I didn't realize you were expecting. Congratulations! Oh, and please do fill us in on all of the baby preping.

susan@tickledpaisley said...

Jennifer - the quilt is gorgeous!!! Congratulations too! Keep us posted!!

Elena said...

Well done!!!
So pretty, and I love how the set with all the pillows goes so well together. Definitely an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

very pretty!!!
from,katalin

Janice said...

I love your quilt, the colors the crispness of it, and the pillows just set it off.

Great Job!
Thanks for sharing

•stephanie• said...

favorite new quilt i've seen in a while.
love it!

Lara said...

A new baby! How exciting. Love the quilt. What an awesome finish!

Jo @ a life in lists said...

It's absolutely gorgeous! I'm just finishing up my last pre-baby quilt (also due in 4-5 weeks), which is only baby sized, and I'm feeling plenty challenged by that.

badlandsquilts said...

Wonderful quilt! And so nice to have it on your bed!

Meredith Daniel said...

This is insanely beautiful. I'm just wondering, do you prefer to take your stuff to a quilter? I love quilting the smaller stuff, but I'm quilting a large bedquilt now, and I'm considering resorting to violence. Again, wonderful job! :D

Kristie said...

So gorgeous. Those fabrics are amazing as well with that pattern. Wish I had been around when Pop Garden was out!!

Teje said...

This quilt is so beautiful and adorable colours! Pillows with the same colours and some white pillows make all the scene perfect!

Mary Ann said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!! I want to quilt like you when I grow up. ;o)

Jacki said...

Very beautiful Jennifer! I am so glad you got it done and just in time! You do amazing work! So glad you were able to fix your mistakes, I think I would have had to fix them too!

Anonymous said...

Very, very pretty! I love it:) Aunt Jan

Lori said...

Very lovely and Spring like.

Anonymous said...

I love all your quilts, but today's post takes my breath away! And you made me laugh to remember how much I got done just before my babies came. Aren't hormones just grand?!

Grandma Greta

aneela said...

Just gorgeously perfect!!!
I think I want to make every single one of Joanna's patterns.

Angela said...

absolutely gorgeous! I love this quilt.

@pril said...

This is very pretty and very intricate. I am an identical twin as well, but she does not sew, she paper crafts.

Sue G. said...

I absolutely love this quilt and everything else you sew! You chose colors so well. I'm so happy that I stumbled across this blog! Greetings from Germany!

Di said...

it's beautiful. i love a snails trail design, so effective to see it in a multitude of colours with the white that just makes them 'pop', thank you for sharing.

the longarm quilter was a good move, I couldn't imagine doing this on a short arm

Amy said...

This is definitely one of my favorite quilts. What level do you think this is appropriate for? I would love to make it, but I don't want to mess up.