Monday, March 14, 2011

Saltwater Taffy Quilt - finished

Saltwater Taffy Quilt - finished
This quilt is so fun! I picked it up last week from a long arm quilter, so I just had to bind it. The quilting is an overall swirly pattern. It was so nice to have someone else do that part of the process, since I was a bit late in getting it finished for my son's birthday.
Saltwater Taffy Quilt - detail

Saltwater Taffy Quilt - backing
Here you can see the backing and some detail of the quilting. The martian bit was a hit with J. I think it will make him smile and know this quilt was made especially for him.
Saltwater Taffy Quilt - martians

Saltwater Taffy Quilt - corner

Saltwater Taffy Quilt - rolled
I think my favorite part about this quilt pattern is the inside border. It's a unique way to frame the center portion.

Now, I really need to get started on the next one! D has his birthday in April and I would like to try and get it done on time for him. But, I doubt that will happen; since he will be 2, I don't think he will mind. :) I have all of the colored fabrics cut, I just need to get some more white.

I hope you have a good day. I can't stop thinking about the people in Japan and what has happened there. It's truly awful and my heart goes out to them.
 ~Jessica
Quilt Stats:
size: approx: 52" x 62"
fabrics: Katie Jump Rope by Denyse Schmidt, Kona in white, the martian bit is from munki munki by Heather Ross
pattern: Saltwater Taffy by Fig Tree & Co.
pieced and bound by Jessica
professionally quilted

29 comments:

Daddy Man said...

Love the quilt! The cute alien in the border is the best! Good work ...again!

**nicke... said...

it is so so pretty! i love the little alien too!

Quiltstory said...

Awkward, my husband's account is Daddy Man, i did it before to a friend and she thought it was a creepy "ped" user name. Funny. Love the quilt!

Jennifer said...

I love it! The martian is so cute and so personalized too!

Jennifer :)

Melanie said...

I love the personal touch the martian gives the quilt! I know your son will love it!

Jenny said...

What a lovely finish. Quirky alien just made my day. Have a wonderful week.

Nina... said...

I love Katie Jump Rope and I love love love that quilt!

Rene' Sharp said...

OMG this turned out so well. I love this Jessica, very inspiring, thanks for sharing! :)

Kati said...

Love how it came out. Now I want one too.

Kiera said...

So, so pretty!

Anna said...

Great quilt! If you're ever looking for more KJR, I can pass along the name/number of a lqs here that has a ton!

Angela said...

Wow, so gorgeous! I really love it, and great pictures! Very good choice on the binding/borders, too. Can't wait to see the next one!

PatrĂ­cia | Oh! Maria said...

Uau amazing. i love your blog!
P

Chris {frecklemama} said...

It looks great!!!

commonthreads said...

Love it! It looks great.

Megan said...

Okay, that's crazy adorable and I just love the swirl quilting!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This quilt makes me really happy that I have a stash of KJR! and the Martian is the cutest idea!

Sel's Quilting Blog said...

The martian totally kills me! :D

It's a gorgeous quilt - love the pattern created from the contrast of plain fabrics and patterned!

I'm trying to make a kaleidoscope quilt myself right now and it's not working so well, so it's lovely to get inspiration from kaleidoscopes done right!

Jeni said...

This is so pretty! I love the way it turned out! Between you and Angela, I'm getting the itch to make a kaleidoscope like quit! :)

Kris said...

Love the pattern and love your fabrics! Great work!

Lori said...

I cant stop thinking about the people in Japan either. It really is impossible for me to wrap my mind around the idea of that much destruction. I just cry as I watch.

Your quilt made me smile and your bit about the martians and your son. Nice touch! I love it.

Andrea Pisano said...

It's a gorgeous quilt - beautiful colours!!!
your work inspires me to make a kaleidoscopes With quilt
congratulations!!!

Karen said...

Wow! Great quilt. It looks fab now its all quilted and bound.

Kathy said...

Love the quilt; love the colors!

Mary said...

Beautiful colors, they are happy and perfect for a little boy!

Teje said...

Oooh this quilt became amazing and so beautiful! I love those colours and patterns! Teje

Sheila said...

I love it! And that martian is definitely the perfect touch. ;)

Anna said...

i love this design! and the kjr is super cool! great job. :)

amandajean said...

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! it's awesome.