Monday, April 25, 2011

Mod Times Quilt Along - cutting diagrams

Good Afternoon, everyone!
I've been working on this next step in the quilt along... cutting your fabrics.

I'm going to give you three different diagrams for cutting the pieces that you need (one for the border fabric, background fabric and rectangle centers). I'll lead you through cutting the border fabric and the diagrams can help you cut the rest of the fabrics. I'm hoping that this style of presentation will be helpful to you. My thought is that you can print off the diagrams and take them with you to your cutting area. My drawings are hand drawn... I guess that's just how I work and hope that you won't mind either.

Before I start cutting my fabrics,  I like to press and starch them. I've recently started doing that, and it really helps the fabric from stretching and fraying. I just buy the cheap spray starch from the grocery store. It's worked well for me.

Let's get started with cutting your border fabric (the gray in the quilt I made previously, blue/green in the quilt I am cutting out now). Here's the diagram:
Mod Times Quilt Along - diagram 1
 I've drawn out my fabric with the fold on the left and the selvages on the right. Each of the pieces are numbered (b/c you are cutting out 2 layers at once, I've counted by two's to make sure there's enough for what the pattern calls for). On the right is a section where I've written how many pieces you need for the pattern and their size (ex.  12 - 1.5" x 9.5").
I'm going to work on cutting that first section at the top (the 9.5" deep one with the smaller rectangles at the right side).
First, lay out your fabric on your cutting mat (I line up the folded edge with a vertical line on the mat) and trim off the top edge to make it straight.
border 1
Make another horizontal cut, 9.5" down from the top.
border 2
Slide your fabric over a little bit to the left, so that you can trim off the fold.
border 3
Now, using the diagram as your guide, cut 6 vertical sections, each 1.5" wide. That will give you 12 - 1.5" x 9.5" sections.
border 4
border 5
With your remaining piece, cut another horizontal section 5.5" down and another one 3.5" below the 5.5" one. Cut the 5.5" section into 7 vertical sections each measuring 1.5" wide. Cut the 3.5" section into 4 vertical sections each measuring 1.5" wide. The extra fabric can go to your scrap bin.
border 8
Continue cutting the rest of the border fabric, using the diagram as your guide.
border 9
border 10
border 11
Here's all of my pieces cut for the border fabric.

The diagram for the background fabric (the white) is next:
Mod Times Quilt Along - diagram 2
background 1
 I cut the first four rows all at the same time. The last two rows were cut next.

And, here's the diagram for the rectangle centers (the printed fabric in my first quilt):
Mod Times Quilt Along - diagram 3

Ok, I think that's it!
Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope that the diagrams are an easy way for you to cut the fabrics for this quilt.
~Jessica

10 comments:

Megan said...

I can't wait to get home and start cutting! :)

Clumsy Chord said...

It's just occured to me that I should probably pre-wash my fabric. I would cry if my purple fabric were to bleed all over my Mendocino prints, after I've been saving them up for The Right Project for so long.

Amelia said...

I can't wait to get started!! I've chosen my centre fabrics and just need to get more solids for the background and I'm ready to go :)

Shelley said...

Thanks for the details. I've got my center fabric and am headed out today for the two solids. I'm so relieved that someone else hand-draws their diagrams :) I'd love to be a techno-savvy girl and put my diagrams in some super-cool computer program, but who has time to learn that? There's too much sewing to be done!

Mary said...

I have my center and background fabric. I just need some Kona Black to go with it all. YAY!

Mary
http://www.quiltgenius.com

Sonia B said...

I'm all cut out. Can't wait for the next step! Thanks for sharing this.

Cathy Hutton said...

When is the next step? Is there one every week?

twin fibers said...

Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you car getting started and cutting out your fabrics.

Cathy - Yes, I plan on doing another post next Monday. We'll make the blocks then!

:) Jessica

Chrystal said...

Got my fabric cut Friday. Wanted to let you know your diagrams were a huge help, thanks!!

twin fibers said...

Thanks, Chrystal!

I'm glad to hear that the diagrams are working out well. I'll be posting about sewing the various blocks tomorrow.

~Jessica