Monday, May 2, 2011

Mod Times Quilt Along - blocks

Good Morning, everyone!
I've been glad to hear that the cutting diagrams were working out well and that you are ready for the next step. Today, I'll be showing you how to sew together the various blocks needed for the quilt top.
Let's get started!
Block A - 1
For this block, grab your pieces according to the picture. You should have 13 printed pieces of fabric for the rectangle centers and the coordinating border fabric in the sizes noted in the picture.
Block A - 2
Stitch a 1.5" x 7.5" border fabric piece onto either side of each of your rectangle centers.
chain piecing
I find that chain piecing all of these blocks is the way to go. You just stitch one piece and start stitching the next piece one right after another, without cutting the thread or raising the presser foot in between each piece. When you're finished stitching, clip the threads holding them together.
Please make sure that you are using an accurate 1/4" seam allowance! You may want to make one block first, by stitching on the 2 side borders and then adding the top and bottom border. Then you can see if you need to adjust your seam allowance.
Block A - 3
Press your side border pieces out. I like to press the seam allowance toward the border fabric, but you can press them open if you like that better.
Stitch a 1.5" x 5.5" border piece on the top and bottom of your block. The 5.5" width should fit perfectly, if your seam allowance is correct.
Block A - 4
Press your top and bottom borders.
Make 13 of these and set them aside until next week.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Block B - 1
We're onto the next block already!
You should have 4 - 3.5" squares, 8 - 1.5" x 3.5", and 4 - 1.5" x 5.5" pieces.
Block B - 2
Stitch the side pieces on as shown in the picture. Press your seams.
Block B - 3
Stitch on the top border piece and press.
Block B - 4
Make 4 of these blocks and set them aside for next week.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Block C - 1
We're onto the last set of blocks! Gather these pieces according to the picture above and we're going to stitch the bottom row of fabrics together first.
Block C - 2
Take a 1.5" x 2.5" border fabric piece and stitch it to one of your background pieces (2.5" x 4.5" piece).
Block C - 3
Press your block and add another background piece to the other side of border fabric.
Block C - 4
Press your block. Make 36 of these.
Set aside 12 of these "half" blocks for next week.
Continue on to make the full size block.
Block C - 5
 Stitch a 1.5" x 9.5" border piece in between two half blocks.
Block C - 6
Press your block. Make 12 of these and set them aside for next week.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Completed blocks for quilt top
Here are my piles of completed blocks! The only fabric that you won't use this week are your 24 - 2.5" squares.
Next week (Monday), I'll be showing you how to complete your quilt top!
Your fabric choices for the Mod Times Quilt Along
Thank you so much for following along and sewing this quilt with me. There are so many beautiful fabric combinations showing up in the flickr group (shown in the mosaic above) and I'm really excited to see them all turned into a quilt.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I'll try to answer them as best I can.
~Jessica

10 comments:

Karenkay said...

I'm not ready yet...but will be by thurs. and will catch up, I really like this quilt!

Amy said...

I can chain stitch,,YAY..

corinne said...

Thanks great directions, I am alittle behind but will caught up soon. I also like chain sewing.

purduepam said...

Thanks for the quilt along. Directions are reatl Took me a while to decide on fabrics. Cut yesterday and sewed blocks today. I posted them to the flicker group.

Ann-Christin said...

I like!!!!!! Hope to get some time to try!!!!!

Ann-Christin in Sweden

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Just finished cutting up my fabric. We are potty training our youngest, so I've been starved for sewing time :) Hopefully I can sew blocks tonight!

Anonymous said...

Will you give other suggestions for quilting this (other than freemotion)? This is my very first quilt, and I'm a little scared of free motion on my first attempt! :-)

By the way, your directions are fantastic--especially for a beginner like me! Thanks!

twin fibers said...

Hi everyone!

anonymous - Sure, that a great idea! I'll quilt this one a different way... probably straight lines, so that it's simple and follows the angular lines of the quilt. I hope that will give you an idea for your quilt.

:) Jessica

Dawnmarie said...

Thanks for keeping it moving. I can' wait to get home to my sewing machine (currently at the hospital in another state taking care of one of my grandma's). Hoping to catch up next week!

fafaruban said...

What a beutiful walk on your blog, thanks