Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mod Times Quilt Along - sewing the quilt top (part 2)

Z
So, here's where we left the quilt top at after part 1. 
Let's keep going and get this thing sewn together!
2A
Layout your pieces for the next row.
2B
 Start with the squares and sew from the top and stop at the pin (1/4" from the bottom).
2C
Press (seam allowances towards the border fabric... green in this case).
2D
Pin and stitch all the way across these seams. Fold the other pieces out of the way as shown.
2E
 Press seams. Now, we're going to finish the inset seam. Starting from the left, working to the right...
2F
Fold the fabric over and match seams and pin. Stitch, overlapping some stitches at the top (from when you sewed the square to the border) and complete that line of stitching all the way to the bottom.
2G
You just finished the first inset seam! Congrats! Now, finish the rest of them going across the quilt top.
2H
Pin, stitch and press the next inset seam.
2I
 Here's what it looks like so far. Now, finish the last 2 inset seams and press.
2J
This is what you should have after the inset seams are done.
2K
Now, add the cross blocks to this row.
2L
 Pin as you have done before and stitch these seams all the way across.
2M
Here's a little more detailed picture of that process. Fold the rectangle block out of the way, so you don't accidentally stitch it. Stitch all the way to the end.
2N
 Press these seams.
2O
Layout your pieces for your next rows.
2P
Again starting from the left. Stitch the half block and square to the rectangle print block. Make sure to stop stitching 1/4" from the bottom of the square (where the pin is).
2Q
Press seams.
2R
Stitch the next two rectangle blocks as shown. Make sure to stop 1/4" from the bottom of each of the squares. The other seam gets sewn from top to bottom (seam at right with the half cross block).
2S
Press blocks.
2T
Pin the three blocks you just completed to your quilt top.
2U
Here's a closer view. Stitch all the way across these seams.
2V
Press seams. Now, you're going to finish the inset seams on this row. There are 4 of them to finish stitching.
2W
Press seams.
2X
Now, add in your cross blocks as we have done before.
2Y
Pin and stitch all the way across.
2Z
 Press your seams.

Ok, this is part 2. I hope that you are seeing the pattern here and the technique used to sew the quilt top together.
It may look like it's going to take forever to sew the quilt top together, but once you get started and do the first couple of rows you probably won't even need these directions. It took me 2 hrs 45 min to sew this top together and I was taking all these pictures and had my little helper with me.
Again, let me know if something needs more explaining.
Thanks for quilting along with me!
~Jessica
I'll get the last part written as soon as I can. I can guarantee you it's taking me much longer to write this than it did to sew it! :)

4 comments:

Sequana said...

Thx for all the time you're taking with this. It makes sense as I read it, so that's good. *S*

purduepam said...

thanks for all the detail. You make it look easy. I will have my netbook right next to me as I sew so I can follow along. Hope to have time to put it together on friday.

Sonia B said...

Thank you so much for such great instructions. I can tell you've put a lot of time and effort into them. I've really enjoyed putting this together. The first row went together like a breeze this morning. I can't wait to get back to the rest.

Lizziebeth said...

I bought fabric for this but after seeing all these in-set seams I'm thinking about running away fast! LOL