Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mod Times Quilt Along - sewing the quilt top (part 3)

2Z
So, here's where we left off with part 2. There's not much to go and most of this is a repeat of previous rows! It should go quickly now, right?! :)
3A
Layout your fabrics for the next rows.
3B
Here's a detail shot of the blocks that you stitch to the rectangle. Start stitching from the top and stop 1/4" from the bottom (where the pin is).
3C
Press your blocks (seams toward the border fabric... green here). Pin these blocks to the quilt top and stitch them all the way across, as you have done in previous rows. Press.
3D
Now, you're going to finish the inset seams (4 of them in this row). The picture above shows them completed.
3E
Now, add in your cross blocks.
3F
Press.
3G
Layout the next row of pieces.
3H
Attach these blocks as you have done in previous rows.
3I
Here's what you should have so far. We're almost done!
3J
Add the cross blocks in.
3K
Press those seams.
3L
And now you're going to add in the last 2 half rectangle blocks and the last 4 background squares. Attach them as you have done all the other squares.
3M
Stitch those two pieces to your quilt top.
3N
Now, you're going to add in the last 3 half cross blocks. Stitching as you have done before and finishing the inset seams as the last step.
IMG_2138
You've done it!
The quilt top is finished and you can give yourself a giant pat on the back. :)

I really do hope that you have enjoyed sewing this quilt top together.
I've been having a lot of fun seeing the different fabric combinations popping up in the flickr group!  I can't wait to see what all of your quilt tops are going to look like! (and Lee already posted her finished quilt... yeah, she's faster than me! Her quilt turned out gorgeous!)

Ok, I think that's it! I'll plan on posting on Monday with some suggestions about how to make your quilt sandwich and quilting. Please let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

Happy Sewing!
:) Jessica

4 comments:

stitchinpenny said...

I didn't join your quilt along, but have been very impressed with your directions. I think even I could follow them.

Anne D said...

It looks great. I love it. I have not started yet but I will do this quilt along!!!Thanks for the tutorial.

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Just finished my top! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Can't wait to finish it all up.

purduepam said...

Jessica, I am a new quilter and was wondering what you think about adding a border to this quilt. You did an awesome job on the directions. You must have spent a lot of your time to make the pictures and type out all the detail. Thanks again for the great posts.