Friday, May 20, 2011

Ruffle Baby Quilt

Ruffle Quilt - A
So, here's another one of those projects that got started a long, long time ago and shoved into the cabinet with other UFO's! I don't know why I didn't finish it up a long time ago... it's really a cute little quilt and something a little different than a pieced quilt top.
Ruffle Quilt - B
I decided to make these kind of ruched ruffles on the quilt top after seeing this treatment done on a skirt. The skirt was pictured on an Amy Butler pattern for one of her bags and I thought it looked so neat with the controlled ruffles all along the bottom hem. So, why not give it a try on a quilt! :)
Ruffle Quilt - C
I drew three concentric rectangles on a piece of white Kona... with one of my kids washable markers, of course. Then I made a quilt sandwich (with the batting and backing) and pinned it all together.
The ruffles are made with strips of fabric and I mitered the corners and then did a rolled hem on all sides with my serger. (You could zig zag the edges, too).
To make the ruffles, I zigzag stitched over a heavy weight thread (upholstery thread). That way, when you pull it to make the ruffles it doesn't break.
Ruffle Quilt - D
Here the ruffles are getting pinned on the quilt sandwich.
Ruffle Quilt - E
You can see the corners where I wound the upholstery thread around a pin to secure the ruffle.
Ruffle Quilt - F
 Now, all I have to do is stitch with a straight stitch over the zigzag stitching. That acts as the quilting, too.
Ruffle Quilt - G
So, the ruffles are done and now I got out the kids washable markers again and drew out some quilting ideas.
Ruffle Quilt - H
The loops are so fun to quilt! For me, it helps if I draw in the corner loops... that way they don't look so wonky.
Tomorrow, I'll share the finished quilt!
~Jessica

19 comments:

Karenkay said...

lovely idea!

Teresa said...

I would have never thought to use my kids markers....That makes me so nervous on the white! It looks great so far!

liz said...

I'm loving this!!

Amanda said...

LOVE this!!!

rachel griffith said...

<3

Modern Amish said...

WOW! This is super cute! Please, please, please make a pattern for it. Pretty please:D

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is such a cool idea. It makes me want to become friends with my serger instead of just looking at it sitting on my sewing table...

~Michelle~ said...

I want to make this in adult size!

momof3 said...

Very cute! A great baby keepsake quilt.

Linz said...

That looks darling!! I can't wait to see the finished quilt!

Washable markers... I'm too chicken. Even though I have never had a problem with them washing out of my kids cloths! I'm just too chicken!! Lol!

ScrappinSassy said...

SO CUTE!! One day I'll be brave enough to try something like this :) I can't wait to see the finished project!

Mitzi said...

It scares me a little to think of using one of the kids markers, even if they are washable. I've never thought of that but now I'll have to try it. Good idea! What a cute quilt!

Pam said...

Very nice. I have put ruffles on the edges of quilts but never inside.

Sue said...

awesome idea Jessica. Can't wait to see the finished product.

diane said...

love the soft, sweet design of this quilt

Fleur de Lis Quilts said...

Good idea with the ruffles. I once put ruffles on a queen-size Sunbonnet Sue quilt. I sewed the ruffled strips into the border. It was a fight that I eventually won, but it took lots out of me. I may give this technique a try....it looks a bit more do-able. Thanks for sharing. The quilt is darling....can't wait to see the finished quilt.

A Quilter Awakens said...

OMG OMG OMG Genius! Love it. Karmen

Leslie said...

this is beautiful...what a fantastic idea!

Idaho Quilter said...

Clever Idea!