Wednesday, June 29, 2011

crewel embroidery

Bird Crewel Embroidery Kit
Last week I was lucky enough to have some free time all to myself, so I decided to stop by some of my favorite thrift shops. I hadn't done that for quite a while and it was really nice just to stop at a few and find some cheap treasures! I always look through the craft sections, but rarely find anything that's good. This crewel kit caught my eye. It looked like something I would use and it was small... perfect for a summer project.
starting to stitch
I'm so glad I picked it up. The colors of the wool yarn are so much prettier than what the picture on the front of the package shows. The yellow, orange, and coral colors for the bird are really nice. I've been stitching on it during some quiet time the past couple of days and it's coming together nicely.
progress
I'm learning lots of new stitches. I especially like the spiderweb flowers! They really add a three dimensional aspect to the embroidery.
So, if you're at a thrift shop and find a vintage crewel kit it may be worth it to pick it up! It's nice to have some hand stitching or embroidery to do once in a while.
~Jessica

7 comments:

Alicia Marie said...

That looks gorgeous. I love how three-dimensional crewel embroidery is. It's just thread, but it comes alive and jumps right off the canvas! Great job so far!

Erica said...

Beautiful! I adore the colors!

TaneshaN said...

Very nice! I have been doing embroidery for awhile, but never picked up crewel. I will keep an eye out next time I'm thrifting.
Tanesha (CraftyGardenMom)

kristastitched said...

i went thrifting yesterday too! picked up a couple vintage sheets for a couple bucks. you're stitches look lovely, what a great find!

Domina said...

Very pretty colors - makes me want to hit our thrift store again. Glad you're enjoying some quiet time! All my plans for projects this week got scrapped by some urgent needs.

Karen said...

Love it!!! So sweet...

Stephanie Simpson said...

OH, how funny. My very first job ever was as Erica Wilson's intern one summer when I was 15