Friday, June 17, 2011

Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Blocks - weeks 2 & 3

Farmers Wife Sampler blocks - week 2
Week 2 -I know I've been really excited to work on these little blocks and they sure do get addicting once you sit down to sew a few together! I've been enjoying digging through the scrap buckets and pulling out some old favorite fabrics. I even organized all my scraps by color one night after the kids were in bed. Yeah, a little much... I know. :)

Anyway, here's a rundown of each of the blocks and their name... maybe you'll find that interesting. I'm not sure if they are the traditional names associated with the particular block design or if this is what the author of the book has assigned them. The numbers are what order they are from in the book.
Windmill #108
Windmill #108
Box #9
Box #9
Snowball #81
Snowball #81
Autumn Tints #2
Autumn Tints #2
Calico Puzzle #16
Calico Puzzle #16
Streak of Lightning #92
Streak of Lightning #92
Spool #84
Spool #84 - I'm not sure if this one has enough contrast in the fabrics, but I'm going to keep it as is and see how it looks later on with more blocks. Maybe it will be fine, maybe not... but I'll just go with it for now.
Farmers Wife Sampler Blocks - week 3
Week 3 - This week, I decided to slow down and just make 2 blocks. I think I'll probably continue at this pace as my kids are out of school and I'll be spending more time with them. The weather has really been nice here and we've had a great time this past week or so playing outside for the afternoon. Summer is my favorite season and nothing beats lots of sunshine, sprinklers, bikes and scooters!
Broken Sugar Bowl #12
Broken Sugar Bowl #12
Economy #29
Economy #29
Isn't it amazing at how many people have joined this quilt along? There's almost 400 members in the flickr group and it's really fun to browse through the photo pool. I love how this book has brought together so many people who like all sorts of different fabrics and who probably like all different styles of quilting. It's really interesting to see everyone's interpretation of the same block.

I'm also excited to have finished up this quilt today. I'll take some pictures and share that one next week.
Have a great weekend everyone!
~Jessica

14 comments:

Jodi said...

Jessica, your blocks look great! I just finished my first two but haven't posted them to Flickr yet. 10 p.m. at night so pics would be yucky - tomorrow a.m. I'll do that, and maybe make blocks 3 and 4 - fun!

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Your blocks are looking great - what a good scrap project! Glad to see I am not the only one who colour codes their scraps:)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Your blocks are great! I especially love "economy." I'm starting mine next week. Excited...!

Shanna said...

Your blocks look great!! I love the different fabrics you're using, too :o)

DevonMaid said...

It seems that at least some of the names are traditional - see http://civilwarquilts.blogspot.com/2011/06/25-calico-puzzle.html

ferne said...

I have had this book for a long time and never made a block, but your color choices are making it actually look like fun and I may just have to give it a go! It was a fun book to read too.

audrey said...

very pretty! i just got my book yesterday and of course I have to work today! Go figure! I can't wait to get going on these.

Elizabeth D. said...

I really love how your blocks are looking so far!! That fussy cut flower on block #29 looks amazing!

kristastitched said...

when this quilt along first started, i thought yeah right! seeing your blocks (and everyone elses) really makes me want to join in! i am a new quilter and don't have a fabric or scrap stash so i'm doing the responsible thing for my wallet and staying out of this qal. haha! love your progress :D

amandajean said...

the blocks look so great! even the one that doesn't have as high of contrast as you like. i'd say leave it in. it'll look great in the mix.

traceyjay said...

LOVE your fabric combos. They look smashing together. (My book comes Monday). ;) I drank the Kool-Aid after all.

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

nice work.....I was thinking about joining the QAL...but I just got some custom orders to keep me very busy and I am not sure I want to buy the book just for the qal...can't make up my mind....but the blocks look great..

Brooke said...

I feel my resolve weakening by the second. I'm trying so hard not to fall for the FWQAL, but everywhere I look in blogland I'm tempted by these gorgeous blocks!! It looks like so much fun, that the fact that "I don't have time for it" is starting to mean less and less!! Your blocks are particularly lovely!

Laura said...

I love all your blocks! What great fabric choices. :) I, too, am finding that making them is so addicting!!