Monday, June 13, 2011

Loulouthi Tote with Laminated Fabric

Loulouthi Tote Bag - front
I've always wondered how it was to sew with the laminated fabric I've been seeing the past year or so. When this fabric showed up in the shop I was buying Jennifer's birthday present from, it just jumped in my shopping cart, too. :)
Loulouthi Tote Bag - back
The bag pattern is called the Summer Madras Tote and it's by the talented Anna who blogs at Noodlehead. She wrote this freebie as part of a guest post at Grosgrain. It's a great size and easy to make. I just made a few adjustments to my bag. The handles are longer and I made them out of quilting cotton lined with fusible interfacing. The body of my bag is also lined with fusible fleece (adhered to the laminated fabric). That worked really well... it helped take out some of the wrinkles in the laminated fabric.

I didn't have any problems feeding the laminated fabric through my machine. I used the even-feed foot (similar to a walking foot) and it pulled the fabrics right through without them sticking to the bottom of the presser foot. I've also read where you can place a piece of tissue paper over the laminated fabric and sew over top of that and then tear it off when your seam is done. (There's also a Teflon foot available for most sewing machines made specifically for sewing with plastic, but I don't have one and just tried to make due with what I had)
Loulouthi Tote Bag - lining
I'm looking forward to sewing with more of the Loulouthi fabrics! Another tote bag is in the works for my daughter.
Happy sewing!
~Jessica

17 comments:

Karenkay said...

It really came out great!

Jeni said...

This is so adorable!! I love the accent fabrics you paired with it! What a great summer tote! You're making me want to use my Weekends laminate! :)

Have a great week!

Jennifer said...

Very cute! You used my favorite fabric for the outside of the bag...

Jennifer :)

diane said...

what a great bag

Terri said...

This is Awesome! Ihave wanted to play with laminates to. This purse is fantastic.

Judith said...

Stunning! I spotted this pattern a while ago & bookmarked it - you've inspired me to have a go! Jxo

Melissa @ Love Affair With My Brother said...

What a great idea! This would be perfect for a diaper bag, somehow I always end up with a leaky sippy and this would keep my bag from getting ruined. I pinned this :)

Anna said...

loooove this jessica! it's so perfect. and you probably caught my major blunder in grosgrain's post, I think I wrote that the handles were 14" long, but really they were 24" long each, ha. Oh well. this is so perfect, I'm so glad you like it! it's the best compliment I can receive. :)

Linz said...

So cute!! I wanna try it too!! :)

Live a Colorful Life said...

Great tote! I have some laminate and the teflon foot so I should give it a try.

cozy said...

bee-u-ti-fullll!

traceyjay said...

Love this with the laminated... I've been eyeing the stuff myself. :) Very cute.

Domina said...

Great bag!! I just got my first laminated cotton in the mail today. It'll become a bucket hat/rain hat for me.

Lara said...

Love! I ordered this same print last week to recover our dining room chairs... And I was thinking on the way home tonight I'd love to make a lunch tote out of it too for my work lunch :) Your bag is lovely. I will definitely have to make one!

Ruth said...

Wow, that turned out great! Love it!!

Hollie said...

What an adorable tote! I love it and I love this line.

Jennifer at Ellison Lane Quilts said...

Awesome bag. I love it. One of these days I am going to get over my fear of bags and just make one! This is great with the Loulouthi.