Friday, July 22, 2011

Farmers Wife Quilt-a-long - week 8

Farmer's Wife Blocks - week 8
Wow, I can't believe it's week 8 of this quilt-a-long already! It's been a rainy afternoon here. So while my little guy was napping I thought I'd pull out the scraps and make a couple of blocks.
#8 Bouquet
I also decided that it was time to start paper piecing some of these blocks with smaller pieces. I made both these blocks that way and they turned out pretty good (only a few points chopped off). The block above is #8 in the book and is called Bouquet. (I joined the Farmer's Wife yahoo group in order to print off the paper piecing patterns.)
#14 Butterfly at the crossroads
This one is #14 and is called Butterfly at the crossroads.
I found these blocks really easy to do with the paper piecing! You don't have to cut out any templates or figure out any of the math and they turn out the perfect size every time. I think I'm hooked on making the more difficult ones that way from now on!
~Jessica

9 comments:

Jess B. said...

Looking great! Love your fabric selections!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Your blocks are so cute. Love the fabrics you chose.

Live a Colorful Life said...

Oh these are amazing! The cutest fabrics!

Elena said...

I still haven't started, so what do you mean by paper piecing versus cutting out templates? I thought you cut out templates, cut the fabric to match, then sewed it all together.
How is the paper piecing different? Thanks!

Chrissie Grace said...

I just bit the bullet and I'm joining. I HAVE to make this quilt....I ordered the Hope Valley line yesterday to use. I'm going to have a lot of catching up to do!

Michelle said...

I just love your colours. It is so nice to see traditional blocks done with a new twist. I'm doing Sylvias bridal sampler, so appreciate all your hard work! Michelle xx

Karen said...

Your blocks look fantastic, well done. I have found it is easier to paper piece blocks with tiny pieces on my journey of Sylvias Bridal Sampler

Aunt Spicy said...

ohhhhhh, I love the fabrics, especially the Swell! So fun!

Angela {fussycut} said...

your blocks are gorgeous, every one of them.