Friday, July 29, 2011

Our Baby Birds

We're blessed to live out in the country and probably a month or so ago we found a Robin making a nest in a pine tree we had planted earlier in the summer. I was really surprised at where she chose to make her nest as it's very close to a walkway that we use all the time. I thought she might be frightened away but soon we watched as eggs appeared in the nest. One day we found one egg, the next another and a few days later there were three. It's been fun to watch and experience this so up close and personal. I thought you might enjoy seeing the growth of these little birds, too. I'll post an update each week with new pictures... I'm aiming to take one each day.
Robin eggs
3 beautiful eggs - I just love that color
day 1 - 2 eggs hatched
day 1 - 7/25/2011
day 2 - 3 eggs hatched
day 2 - 7/26/2011 All three babies have hatched. The egg shells are gone and nowhere to be found.
(day 3 - it rained all day so I didn't get a picture... the mama didn't leave the nest)
day 4
day 4 - 7/28/2011
day 5
 day 5 - 7/29/2011
And here we are today. I've been checking on them in the morning and have found the mama to be off the nest so I quick snap a few pictures.
My kids and I have had a lot of fun seeing the growth of these babies so far and I hope you don't mind the non-quilty post once in a while! I do have a finished quilt and some other sewing posts to share with you next week.
~Jessica

You have until Monday to leave a comment on this post to win the Summer House charm pack! Thanks to all who have entered!

32 comments:

Dj said...

I miss seeing the bluebirds at my parent's house. Please do share!

Sharon said...

We always enjoy watching the baby robins grow, you'll find they'll come back year after year. The first couple of years the nests were low and I could see them, now the tree has grown so high I can't see it anymore but see the parents going in and out to feed them. The mother takes the egg shells and drops them away from the nest. You also might see her carrying off a white fecal sac, that's how the nest stays so clean!

KnightMare said...

How lovely. We live in a city but do have lots of birds around us, but never get to see their nests up close and personal.

And yes that is such a beautiful colour isnt it.

P

Jennifer said...

How fun! We have doves who have adopted our house and come back every year but we've never been able to see their babies. I bet your kids are loving it!

Jennifer :)

The Rx quilter said...

We had a baby cardinal hatch in a tree in our yard this year. It was the best watching mom and dad teach him how to fly! Lisa in Texas

Rachel said...

As much as I love quilty posts, I will be looking for the next bird's nest post! Love it! Thanks for sharing!!

Linz said...

Awwww!!! We had a nest in our tree this year and a hummingbird nest in our porch light last year. Best experience ever!!

Naomi said...

How lucky! We had a bird make a nest in the bush right next to our front door. But alas, she abandoned the one egg that she laid there... I was looking forward to doing something similar to this. :(

bea langeweg said...

nature is beautiful made .enjoy enjoy

Sonia B said...

How beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Amazing to see up close. Didn't realize how ugly little birds are with no feathers! Just hope no cats get them!! Will look forward to watching them grow...
Denise in Canada.

Andrea said...

beautiful photos. to marvel at the growth of these birds!

Angela {fussycut} said...

How cool is that!! I bet your kids are loving those birds so much. Great pictures!

A Quilter Awakens said...

Holy moly; great job getting those photos! Karmen

Laura said...

This is amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Di~ said...

SO! interesting! Thanks.

Anna said...

awe, those are soo sweet. We got lucky this year and had a robin nest outside our living room window. :)

Pieces of Sunshine said...

Delightful and fascinating. We don't have robins here.

Theresa said...

Amazing! I love those eggs, they're almost not real!

Karen said...

How too cute to see the little birdies arrive. What a great thing for children to see.

Would like to also be in the drawing.

karencg@hotmail.com

midnight hysteria said...

awesome little birds; we found a tiny bird that had fallen out of the tree a few days ago ... the tree is sooo tall we cannot put the bird back in, so we put it back and hope mama finds it .... lovely pics .... love the fabric, too .... darlene

Lara said...

Wow. What a joy to watch for you and your children! Love the photos. Its amazing how much they've grown already!!!

Becky said...

How cool! I've had baby birds (quail) on my blog recently too! I love birds!!

Karen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

This is just the neatest thing! I love it and will definitely look forward to seeing the babies grow, amazing how fast they change! What a terrific opportunity to see nature so up close and personal, the miracle of it all!

Pamela Nees said...

We have 4 baby birds in our wreath on our front door! They are purple finch babies! The eggs were that lovely blue just like yours~do you know what they are?

Love those birdies! And thanks for the giveaway offer!

Chamtippy said...

Ahhh this is so cute. I'm looking forward to seeing updates on these cute babies.

Foksal said...

przypomina mi się "Tajemniczy ogród"...
słitasnie ptaszęta, ach!

Caren Kristine said...

Oh! they are so cute. We had baby cardinals outside our window this Spring. My girls loved them. We hated to see them fly away.

cozy said...

thanks :) so cool!

Suz said...

the original "tweeting"
the kind I like best!

thanks for the chance.

smdecoste at yahoo.com

Selina Marie said...

How adorable! I love that day 1 photo.