Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Quilting Diva's VQBee quilt top

Quilting Diva's VQBee - quilt top
I decided to pull these blocks out on Monday and get them made into a quilt top. The blocks have been made for quite a while... some of them are from the Quilting Diva's Bee that I was a part of last year. At the time, I had made several additional blocks to go with the quilt but one of them didn't quite fit in. It was the one in the upper left corner. That block didn't have any white fabric in it and it just stood out too much amongst the rest. So, I took it out and started chopping it up into pieces for the Greek Cross block that's a part of the Summer Sampler Series Quilt Along that's going on right now. Now it fits in better and I can still keep the random piecing of that block.
Quilting Diva's VQBee - quilt top
I love how the striped sashing has worked with this quilt and I'm so glad I had just enough of the bubble paisley print fabric for the border.
Quilting Diva's Bee Quilt - starting to quilt
My youngest son was around when I was making the backing for this quilt. He loves to cut paper and I usually set him up with a few pieces of paper to cut while I do a little sewing or something else. It keeps him busy for at least a half hour. Well, the other night when I was working on this, he grabbed my scissors off the counter and in a matter of seconds was snipping into the border of the quilt top! He's such a stinker. So I had to take a chunk out and replace it. I think I'll have to lock up all the scissors now, too. :)
Thanks for visiting!
~Jessica

21 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow - were you so calm about it when he was cutting up the quilt or does it just seem so in the re-telling? I would have flipped out... yikes.

Jeni said...

So pretty! You have some amazing blocks! :)

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Mommies never get a minute off from their watch, do they? The quilt is glorious! One of my favorite sampler quilts ever.

kristastitched said...

or you could just lock up the little boy... haha j/k! beautiful quilt! thank goodness all he got was the border and not one of those gorgeous blocks :D

rubyslipperz said...

this is one of the prettiest sampler quilts that i've seen...yep,yep,yep...and, i've seen plenty in the 35 years i've been quilting! it's just so...bright, cheery...and makes one put a BIG smile on their face!

good idea!...putting the scissors "away". one of my weee ones (long time ago) cut some snips into a quilt top i was working on. good thing, it was just the top and i could redo a block or two. =)

hugZ,
annie
rubyslipperz106.blogspot.com
=) new follower =)

Kati said...

Those are some great blocks. What a pretty quilt. So sad about the borders. I can totally see my daughter doing that sometime. It's amazing how quickly they get into trouble.

sosarahsew said...

Once my son snipped my embroidery floss into one inch segments for a picture I was crossstitching. Now that he is 25, he has that picture hanging at his house.

I have heard that some use a padlock through the handle loops of scissors so they cannot be opened far enough to cut anything. If you are the only one who has the combo, then you are the only one who can cut! I've never tried it, but sounds like a good tip.

By the way, I'm planning to take your Vanilla and Blooms idea to use my feedsack material that had been in my grandmother's quilt fabric stash. Thanks for the eye candy.

Sarah

MimiQuilts said...

Beautiful quilt, so bright and cheerful. Love the colors, and the different blocks.

**nicke... said...

you are amazing! i would have freaked out.

Judith said...

This is such a beautiful quilt top, the type where you can look at it for ages & see different things. I have a dog who loves eating my quilts & cushions! Jxo

Alli said...

If you keep the quilt, I bet you'd always smile when you looked at the replaced chunk...! :)

Kirsten Smith said...

Such an adorable quilt-- and a with the extra snip, it just has a lil extra character. ;)

Kelly said...

Cool! I love seeing all the blocks together! It has been a long time--I really need to do something with my blocks too! :)

Alisa said...

It looks really, really good! How old is your boy? I'm got a terrible 2 year-old that would do just that too.

Little Miss Shabby said...

Jessica--I love how this turned out!! I really need to do something with my blocks as well. =0

Pierson family said...

Absolutly fell in love with this quilt! Where can I find the block patterns and instrutions? Just love everything about the quilt, great choice of color etc.!!!!!

passingdowncrazy said...

My son did the same thing when he was little. He called the borders and sashings "woads" and he drove his cars on them. He felt awful after the fact and kept saying, "I cut the woad!"

Modern Amish said...

What a lovely quilt! Oh boy, you're right...at least I only had washable crayons. Scissors!...not looking forward to him learning about those. BOYS! Glad you had enough spare to replace it.

Jenniffier said...

Wow that looks so great. So many fun blocks in there!

Angela {fussycut} said...

I really love this! That stripe is just perfect for the sashing.

Teje said...

This is a really beautiful quilt! I love all the blocks and fabrics!