Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long - week 11

Farmer's Wife Sampler - week 11 blocks
Now these were really fun to make this past week and I couldn't just stop at 2. Somehow I ended up with 6! ;)
#58 Mother's Dream
#58 Mother's Dream
#70 Prairie Queen
#70 Prairie Queen
#76 Sawtooth
#76 Sawtooth
#105 Wild Goose Chase
#105 Wild Goose Chase
This one is my favorite block so far!
#77 Seasons
#77 Seasons
#64 Peace and Plenty
#64 Peace and Plenty

I've been getting a lot of questions about the paper piecing, so I thought I'd do a little rundown of where and how to find the templates...
The templates are located in the Farmer's Wife Sampler Group on Yahoo groups. You need to apply to join the group. Once you have been accepted into the group, click on the Files tab and then select the Foundation Patterns file. In there are all of the blocks, each with their own file and you can select and print the blocks that you desire to make. Make sure that you select your printer settings to "none" on the scaling, so that they print off at the correct size. All of my blocks have been turning out at 6.5" square. I really enjoy making my blocks that way, but I know some people like the templates and cutting those out individually. Using the foundation patterns is just another way to make these small blocks.
Here is a great tutorial on paper piecing by Christina at The Sometimes Crafter. 
The Farmer's Wife Quilt-a-long group on Flickr is also a great place to get inspired to work on your own quilt! There's over 800 members in the group and  many gorgeous blocks posted every day!
~Jessica

15 comments:

Leslie said...

what is that gorgeous purple fabric you used in the sawtooth block....?

twin fibers said...

It's manufactured by Quilting Treasures under license from Laura Ashley 2009. Here's a link to it in a shop: http://www.overrainbow.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?product=qtmodfloral&productid=qtmodfloral21222_pflowerballsfuchsia&tracking4=search%20qtmodfloral21222_pflowerballsfuchsia&pid=1#qtmodfloral21222_pflowerballsfuchsia

Alli said...

Your prairie queen is such a neat block! I love the wild goose chase one, too. :)

Toni said...

I was just going to ask the same question as Leslie. Love that fabric! All your blocks look so pretty. It is going to be an amazing quilt when it's all together!

heather said...

i just LOVE your fabric selection!!! your blocks look FANTASTIC!!! i don't think that i would have been able to stop at 2 either!:)

Jennifer said...

These are so cool! The fabrics you are using are perfect. I'm going to have to get on board whith this QAL once I get a few projects out of the way...

Jennifer :)

Domina said...

The Mother's Dream square reminds me of 4 kids seated quietly at a table....maybe that's this mother's dream! :) LOL! Your colors are great - can't wait to see the finished quilt!

sewkatiedid said...

wow, i love the sawtooth. what's the fabric?

Live a Colorful Life said...

Wild Goose Chase IS a very cool block. And yes, what is the fabric on sawtooth?

Mary said...

Love your blocks! It is fun to see how all the fabrics work together :)

Becky S. said...

I LOVE your FWQA blocks and your choice of fabrics!
The wild goose chase block is my favorite so far too.

evamarie said...

Your blocks are ansolutely lovely, I love the fabrics. And thanks for the paper piecing tips.

Elena said...

Just when I thought I had it figured out! I saw something in the group about printing the patterns "mirror image" or they come out wrong?
Also, when I print with no scaling, I have a handful of blocks that didn't fit on the page and are cut off...#'s 11, 13, 24, 45, 36, 52, 91, 110, and one "Unnamed." any idea what to do with these?

Thanks!!!

Franziska said...

So beautiful to see! I like the green-blue fabric in the #105 Wild Goose Chase block. What's its name?
Maybe I'll try this block myself although I don't have the pattern.

Sunni @ Love Affair with my Brother said...

I love your blocks! They are so bright and scrappy!