Thursday, August 4, 2011

Kingdom baby quilt

Kingdom Quilt - blocks b
Jessica Levitt's newest fabric collection called Kingdom is due out any day now and Windham fabrics graciously sent me out a couple of charm packs to play with! There are 20 fabrics in this Art Nouveau inspired collection with some really pretty purple, teal and lime green colors. I also think the grays in there are great... they matched really well with a gray quilters linen that I had.
Kingdom Quilt - blocks a
I spent a little time this past weekend seeing what I could do with them.
Kingdom Quilt - squares
My block inspiration came from one of the quilt patterns in Simplify by Camille Roskelley. My daughter helped me line up all the squares and then we pulled out the gray quilters linen and thought about how to incorporate it into the quilt. She thought that separating the chunk of blocks into three parts would look better than one large chunk (and I think she's right). :)
Kingdom Quilt - top b
So, here we have a simple and more modern looking quilt top than what I've recently been making.
Kingdom Quilt - top a
What I'm really excited about is the quilting! I've been wanting to try out some loopy quilting in rows for a while and this was so fun to do.
Kingdom Quilt - loopy quilting b
As I got toward the bottom section, I marked out a line to follow for each row. I love the detail and interest it adds although I think it might be hard to do loopy rows on a larger quilt. Rolling it up and trying to maneuver it under the arm of my machine would be really difficult. Now I can see where a long arm machine would come in handy. Maybe I'll have to look into taking a class or seeing if I can rent some time on one, that would be fun!
~Jessica

22 comments:

Becky said...

That looks fantastic. I'm so excited about Kingdom.

Tiffany said...

Wow - this is a very unique and interesting quilt. I like it very much :)

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

I really love this quilt- the modern feel, the fabric choices, the layout- so great!

Dan R said...

I was just eyeing this fabric last night. It lloks great with the gray, and I love your layout.

ktquilts said...

Great baby quilt!! Love that fabric, so I guess I will be watching for it!!!

Pamela Nees said...

I really love this quilt. The colors and line of Kingdom as just so pretty. And I do love how you've placed it with the gray. Great job!

Sharon Pernes said...

What a great quilt! I am a new subscriber :)

**nicke... said...

i really like it with the gray. it is very pretty.

Jenny said...

I love the colors in this quilt and the way it works with the gray linen! I also have Camille Roskelley's new book and love her designs- they are simple but really stand out when done in the more modern fabrics.

Live a Colorful Life said...

the layout is great, and so is the quilting design. I love the way grey makes colors pop!

traceyjay said...

Love it and love the quilting!

Elizabeth G. said...

That is fantastic! Your daughter hit the nail on the head with the spacing. I had been admiring that quilt from Simplify.. and what a perfect modern mashup!

Kaye Prince said...

Very cute Jess! I was also thinking that grey would go wonderfully with the colours from Kingdom - I'm actually giving some away on my blog right now but the cuts that I keep will definitely be matched with some grey!

Modern Amish said...

Veeerrry Cute quilt! Grey was a great choice. I was wondering, how do you baste your quilt for free motion? Do you like to use a spray or pins?

adnohr said...

Ooh, those are totally my colors. I'll have to check that line out at my LQS.

Jennifer said...

Love it! It's such a unique design and the quilting is just perfect. Well done!

Jennifer :)

Patchwork and Play said...

This is wonderful- I too love the modern feel- the simplicity of the design with its large blocks of grey balanced with the fabulous colours! And great quilting design too!

Jessica Levitt said...

Hi Jessica. Love how this came out! I'd love to put a picture of it on my blog if you don't mind...
Beautiful!

twin fibers said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments! :)

Jessica L: You're welcome to use the pictures! I'll also blog about the quilt once I have it finished up. I love the new collection!

~Jessica

Heather A said...

Love the quilt and the fabrics! The tufted look fabric will be tops on my shopping list.

Ruth said...

I lvoe the blues with the gray background - it really allows the fabrics to shine somehow! Delicious!

Bonny said...

Love, love, love the colors:) The blue and purple with lime is absolutely gorgeous! You made an adorable quilt!