Thursday, August 18, 2011

Last week and this week...

Last week and this week are just flying by! My kids are done with most of the planned summer activities and sports so I'm trying my best to keep them entertained and happy. But, that really doesn't leave me much time at all to sew. We're quite focused on getting ready for school and the kids are really excited to check the mailbox every day to see if their letters from school are there so that they can see who they'll have for a teacher. I thought they might explode yesterday if I didn't take them out to get school supplies (and school doesn't even start for another 2.5 weeks)! ;)
Week 12 blocks - Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt-a-long
I've had time to make a couple of Farmer's Wife blocks for week 12.
(I paper piece mine and more info about that can be found in this post)
#13 Buckwheat
#13 Buckwheat
#97 Waste Not
#97 Waste Not
Vanilla and Blooms - quilting
And over the past week or so, I basted and started to quilt my Vanilla and Blooms quilt. I'm choosing to do a large stipple for the quilting and hopefully that will wash up nice and wrinkly. I only have this small part done. Maybe one of these evenings I should sit down and finish the rest.
Daisychain - SMILE
I've also started to think about some Christmas gifts. I know... it seems like a long way away, but I know it will be here before I know it! I traced out these letters from Alicia's Daisychain Sampler pattern and started to embroider them. I'm not sure if I'll end up framing it or incorporating it into a sewing project. But, at least it's a little start at making some Christmas gifts and gets me thinking about what other things I'd like to make. :)

This will be my last update of these little guys (the baby robins). We went away a couple of weekends ago and came home to find their nest empty. I've really enjoyed checking on these little guys every morning and it's too bad I didn't get any last pictures of them before they left their nest. Maybe next year they will be back and I can do this all over again!
It has really amazed me that they have grown so much in such a short time span. They spent 2 weeks (or less) in the nest and they were ready to fly.
day 10
day 10 - 8/3/2011
day 11
day 11 - 8/4/2011
Our Baby Robins
I hope you've enjoyed the seeing our Robins grow! I've found some information online that said they usually stay in the nest for about 13 days after they've all hatched. So, they were right on schedule.
*Previous posts about the Robins are here and here.

I hope you have a great day and are enjoying the summer!
:) Jessica

9 comments:

Jane said...

Wow! You post made me remember how very exciting and important it was to get your new school supplies. The new blocks look great!

Gail said...

I LOVED the photos of the robins - it's amazing how quickly they grow from hairless and limpless to active little birds. Thank you so much for this storyline.

Kati said...

Love those blocks, especially the Buckwheat block.

kristastitched said...

looking good! cute little birdies, too.

Kristie said...

L-O-V-E the embroidery!!

Victoria Paige @ Boutique Uniquely said...

I remember being a child at back-to-school. I loved shopping for school supplies, too.

Your FW blocks continue to look beautiful. I love that embroidery. I really want to learn some embroidery. Add it to the list I guess, right? :)

Jeannette said...

Beautiful blocks as usual but the embrodiery is great!

I can't imagine being that together to think of Christmas so early.

Ann Marie said...

Thanks so much for sharing the robin pix. It was amazing to watch how fast they grew!

Your blocks look great too!

SewLindaAnn said...

I couldn't resist anymore I had to get the Daisy Chain sampler. I am really intrigued by the fabric choices you made in those blocks. I'm working really hard to look at my choices and learn some restraint.