Monday, August 22, 2011

Owl Pillow

I was thinking about making some new pillow covers for fall and when I found the owl block print (from Christina at The Sometimes Crafter) I've had sitting around, I thought it might be a good start.
Owl Pillow
The patchwork design is adapted from the Birdbath pattern in the book called The Practical Guide to Patchwork. I just adjusted all of the sizes of the center square and rings to fit the proportions of my pillow.
Owl Pillow - quilting
I also wanted to use the pillow top as a way to try out some different free motion quilting stitches. The orange ring has small pebbles, the blue ring has loops and the red border has stippling. It's really nice to try out different free motion quilting on such a small piece. It's fast and really easy to maneuver under the sewing machine.
Owl Pillow - binding
The binding on the pillow is done as you would bind a quilt. I tried the machine stitched binding to the front this time (you just have to stitch your binding on from the back and pull it around to the front to top stitch it). It worked pretty good this time, even though I usually prefer to hand stitch it down. With this little pillow, I just wanted it to finish it up in an afternoon and enjoy it. The backing is a super simple envelope style.
This week I hope to be back sometime to show you a finished Vanilla and Blooms quilt. I'm thinking about working on the quilting during my little boys nap time this afternoon. We'll, see if that works out!
Happy Sewing!
~Jessica

11 comments:

Jeni said...

What a sweet pillow! I love Christina's owls, they are just too cute! :)

Rachel Hendrian said...

so cute!!

Katy said...

I love that owl - he looks like he's been sniffing glue and has gotten all spaced out!
Pillow looks great and I can't wait to see the finished vanilla and blooms quilt - that's going to be gorgeous!

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

so gorgeous!

JusticeBlog said...

seriously cute!

Live a Colorful Life said...

Cute pillow and what a great way to practice stitches!

Jennifer said...

So cute! You always have such fun fabric combinations!

Jennifer :)

Teje said...

This is the most wonderful pillow! I love the pattern with rounded corners and the binding aroun! thank you for idea and inspiration!

Jennifer @ Ellison Lane Quilts said...

That is adorable!

Megan said...

who are the fabric designers for the borders around the owl? they are a great combination! thanks!!

twin fibers said...

Hi Megan!

The orange print is by Joel Dewberry.... Aviary collection, I think. The blue multi pez print is by American Jane (some pezzy prints are just being reprinted by Moda!)... and the red is by Urban Chicks from the Swell collection (also printed by Moda). Hope that helps.... they are older fabrics and may be hard to find.

:) Jessica